Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I would like to say hello to all

RD1angelRRD1angel Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in New Member Introductions

I have Degenerative Disc, back in 2007, was my first cervical fusion on C4,5,6. It failed to fuse, the plate was too big and I was in more pain post op than I ever was pre op? I asked the neurosurgeon at that time, why are we fusing 4,5,6 when the pain I have is in the head and ear? Anatomically, it didn't make any sense. I was told that I was experiencing "referred pain" I should have known that it doesn't help to tell the expert your thoughts... (I've worked in critical care nursing in the trauma unit for 22 years, I am a little familiar with anatomy :$ )

Second surgery, 2010, removal of all hardware, reconstructed C4,5 with cadaver bone, and then fused at C4,5,6,7.

Still in the same pain I had all along. :S I kept telling them, the pain goes up the back of my head on the right, and out my right ear. Very specific pain route, although the 2010 surgery did resolve the shooting pain I had going across my back and down my arm.

2 years later, I have been in pain management, I have had all the different types of injections, ablations, and the only relief I get is from the botox injections in both sternocledomastoid muscles. Botox is awesome stuff! But it is temporary and doesn't do anything for the head and ear pain. When that hits, thank goodness it only lasts a few seconds, because there is no kind of pain medication that could get rid of that pain. Diprivan maybe..... :<

I researched doctors down here in Florida, I moved here a little over a year ago, as the cold weather really caused my pain to get worse. I found a doctor that I really like and had more films... I have a fractured C1 and C2.... Can you believe that? On my way for a bone scan and an arteriole gram as he is concerned that I don't have enough bone to insert screws to. It looks like a posterior cervical reconstruction with something, my bone or cadaver, (my 13 year old kids me and says that if I keep going with all the cadaver bone.... I gonna be a zombie =)) ) but reconstruction of C1, C2.... halo time and long recovery.

That is my story as briefly as I could make it....

I think the most frustrated thing about these fusions are the muscle spasms that we tend to get. I guess it is because our structure has changed.

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you find a few others with surgery in the same location. Sometimes we take the long route around finding out what is wrong, and sounds as though you have been there. I like to say I can look in the review mirror but only through the wind shield to see what is coming, otherwise I would run into something.

Just thought I would let you know as you are new the forums will be down from Monday-Wednesday for a system upgrade. So if you try to log it, don't think there is anything wrong.

Anyway just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Take care and keep us posted on how you get a long.
  • Thank you for the welcome, it certainly make one feel a part of. I appreciate it and I will keep posting.