Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

advice,sciatica ,stenosis,facet joint ..no surgery

Hi ,I had a bad fall in december 2009,had an mri in november 2010 showed slight slippage on l4/l5..mild lumbar stenosis and facet joint arthritis with bone spurs. I have tried amatriptylene,pregablin,tramadol, injection,..the meds messed me up too much and after a few weeks did nothing for pain..the injection worked for 2 days then nothing. I am presently usuing an accu point pen as much as i need , tens machine as required, paracetomol and cocodomal ( not together obviously). I had been ok since about april , I'd been going to the pool 2 times a week to do aqua type exercise and the jaccuzzi (mmm) ,I managed to walk a bit further then usual and was feeling optimistic,so I took on 11 hours a week work just as a check out operator,i can sit and stand as need be..the 11 hours is over 3 days..anyway I have managed 7 shifts and had to phone in and take my 7th off !! not very good . My pain is bad again I have been up most of night which is why I'm here now lol. I rested most of yesterday..the back is bad but it is the sciatica left leg pain that is killing me. It's just there always burning,aching,spasm of needle like, leg and foot feels so heavy and I can not keep my positive up.
My question is , my pain team and docs have basically said surgery would not help..and i want to know why . I am only thinking microdisectomy to relieve the pressure on s1 from disc slip..I know they probably can't do anything for other probs ,unless they get really really bad (loss of bladder.bowel control etc) But from what I've read i feel a microdisectomy could relieve this constant leg pain and alow me to do some work. The only thing I have read is that after 6-9 months of sciatica a microdisectomy may not work..but then i've read of people having it 2-4 years later and it working..so has anyone got any advice ..I am wondering if I should pursue this or at least try.

Thanks in advance
and hope your pain is bearable..looks like a lovely day here on the south coast uk :)

• Hi, I know exactly what you're going through. The daily agony and constant wondering whether or not anything will make the pain go away without drastic measures. I've been dealing with chronic sciatic pain for the last 18 months and nothing has helped. I've done chiropractic, decompression, physical therapy, and non of them were effective. X-rays show no problems with my spine that could show a cause. I began to examine any possible factors that could trigger the pain. I changed my diet, sleeping arangement, the chair at work...etc. But last month I got sick with a throat infection and was perscribed antibiotics. That was the first time I noticed an improvement in my sciatica symptoms. I then did some searching online and discovered some Doctors are investigating a possible link between low lever bacterial infection near lower back muscle which become inflamed and irritate the sciatic nerve. Four days ago I decided to take the remainder of my perscribed amoxicillin 125mg. Since then I have noticed a significant reduction in pain and discomfort. I have not had this verified by my doctor nor have I had conclusive results beyond experiencing a noticeable reduction of deep burning leg/back pain and shooting nerves. but if it is possible that infection is causing sciatica, then antibiotics may be and alternative solution worth looking into.