Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How to tell what to do next if the first injection helped

I have a problem area in my spine besides the fusion site in my Lumbar spine. That is healing nicely and I'm feeling it worked.

Previously all of the injections were performed at my L4 / L5 area before the surgery, and in the nerves and joints around and below that area. I have become very aware of this because the nerve pain is gone now, and this feels like this area higher up on my spine was always present but only now I can really feel it, with the nerve pain gone in my Lumbar spine.

A good way to describe it is if my back pain is 100 % in total, the work they did during the fusion removed 60-75% of the overall pain. I am very aware now of the 25-40% of the pain remaining.

After researching this I found usually people with the disc pain I had is coupled with other issues in the joints above the site with the disc problems. So it’s on to treat the joints now.

Last week I had injections in the new area, the L1/L2 joints, and had relief. The injection helped but it is not a lot better. My question is if anyone knows what to do if the first injection worked. Should I do 2 more of the same thing, or move towards and branch block and radio frequency? There are several different things that could help, and I'm trying to make the most of the procedures and get the most "Bang for the buck". Thanks,
Left foramina stenosis of L3/L4 (retrolisthesis)
L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
(PLIF) -@ L4/ L/5 - S1 (cage at L4/L5)

• Typically if the first injection helped some, doing a series of them will help more. keep track of the pain following the injections so you can report it to the doctor. For instance if it is left or right let them know as they may need to do more than one level. But it sounds as though it was somewhat helpful. Also keep in mind that the injections can take up to a week to fully work, and some doctors say more than that. I myself did a series at two week intervals, and that seem to work better than doing them just when I felt the pain. Good luck and let us know what you and your doctor decide.