Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello Everyone

I am brand new here, my name is Amy..hello! I am 37, mother of 3 daughters ages 16, 7 and 6. I work as a Certified nurses aid and have had this job for 5 years. It is a very physical job..lifting, bending, pulling, pushing..you name it! About 3 weeks ago I developed some back pain in my mid spine. When I could not take the pain anymore I went to my FP, who ordered an entire spine xray. She said that it showed that I have some minor narrowing, in the same place that I am hurting. She sent me to a neurologist, who said that maybe I pulled a muscle?! He did order a MRI, however and am anxiously awaiting the day, I have to wait until Friday of this week to have it done. This is my 3rd week off of work, and right now, I cannot see myself going back and doing the same type of work. So scared...what if they do NOT find anything wrong and I still have this much pain?? My fiance and I talked and figured that we would be ok financially for a little while if I have to quit my job. But, I will have no insurance. So scary..I hate it!!
I did search for a topic that relates to mine before I got on here and started my ranting, sorry, I could not find anything.
Anywho...it is nice to find this forum, nice to be here.

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around in the lower back pain forum and the sciatic forum and you will find others in the same situation. Don't be to worried if they don't find anything seriously wrong as that is what you really want to happen. Believe it or not a pulled muscle can be very painful. My suspect is there will be things that come back on your MRI, as after the age of 25 our spines begin to age, as any other joint does. The good thing is the pain is not radiating out down one or both legs, which is a good sign But the radiologist will be able to differentiate between normal wear and tear and a serious issue.

With all that said that doesn't mean you don't have pain that needs to be treated. There are so many conservative methods of treatment that can help you, such as, physical therapy both land and aqua, along with a medications, massage therapy and so on. One thing that helps the most with spine patients is to walk and walk so more. There are good walking programs on the net if you don't already have one. It keeps your core body strength up.

If I were in your shoes I would first take a look at the spine and understand how it works. Next I would make a journal of the pain your experiencing, the kind of pain, what makes it worse and what makes it better. Another thing to do is check out the FAQ section located at the top of the page and take a look at the link to the article "38 questions to ask a spine surgeon". I understand your not at a spine surgeon, but I say to do this so you can prepare for your next appointment when you get the results back. Be prepared to ask questions as to what they say is wrong. I am not even suggesting you will need a surgery, just so you can form a list of questions.

As far as the job issue. First you should check into a leave of absence under the FMLA, so you can carry your health insurance. If for some reason that doesn't work, which it has to be law, or if you exhaust it. You will also be offered COBRA to pay for you health insurance. Keep in mind there isn't to many surgeon floating around that will even see a patient without health insurance, if it came to that. If all else fails you have insurance you can pick up under your state. Just google your state and health insurance pool and you should find the links to call them.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Keep us posted on your follow-up from the MRI. Take care and good luck.

• amylk5aamylk5 Posts: 3
    edited 06/18/2012 - 7:18 PM
    It is nice to be with people who do not think I am crazy!! Thank you so much, that is a lot of helpful info that you included and I really appreciate that. I will def let you know how the MRI goes. Just wondering, is it strange to feel like your ribs are sore, while your back is hurting? I have noticed this, and other things that bother me a bit. My neuro gave me a note to go back to work in a week..I think I have to quit my job...really don't want to. It is just such a physical job, ugh.
  • Hi,Welcome to spine health forum. I am Mack White working in health industry.I work there as health manager. I have completed my MBA and start working. I love to learn and know about new things...
    If you have any problem any issues then please let me know..
  • So, the neurologist had sent me to a place called Buffalo Spine and Sports, I had an appointment yesterday. After talking to the doctor he summed up that my ribs and back are out of adjustment. He cracked them in so many places...felt a lot of the pressure actually leave. I still have an MRI later on today. Probably they won't see anything (I'm assuming), but still going to have it done. Scared to go back to work, but I guess I have no choice...
  • Hello everyone i am a new also in this forum. Great forum to talk with people and i glad to join.