Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Possible cervical issues?

Let me begin by mentioning that I have surgery scheduled for 7/10, for a TLIF of L5/S1.

My concern today is regarding something that has popped up in the past couple of days with my arms/hands. I haven't been able to sleep much at all as I keep waking up with severe tingling, which turns to total numbness radiating down both of my arms, into my hands/fingers. It seems to happen no matter what position I'm sleeping in, and has only shown relief after a few moments of sitting straight up in bed. I've also notice that as soon as I sit up, and before the numbness starts to fade, there is intense pain in my left elbow for about a minute.

Just wondering if this may be a cervical issue? Being that I have spondylolisthesis of L5/S1, could that be causing issues further up? I'm going to call my neurologist on Monday to see what he says...but I wanted to see what anyone else had to say that might have been going through this and has an idea of what could possibly be going on. As I said, I will be contacting the doc tomorrow...but wanted to put it out there for any insight today.

• Talk to your doctor about the numbness in your hands, and ask for an MRI of the cervical spine before your TLIF!
    I have hand numbness & tingling in my arms & hands (along with pain & dropsies) since my accident 10/31/11. My pain mgmt doc ordered an EMG, and when that came back clear, refused to do an MRI, telling me that there was nothing wrong with my neck, and that the neurosurgeon would order it if he thought it was necessary.

When I saw my neurosurgeon's PA to discuss fusing my lumbar & SI joints, his PA immediately noticed an issue with hyperrelexia, and ordered a RUSH MRI & new appt with the neurosurgeon for the following week (it generally takes months to see him), because she suspected a spinal cord injury. Unfortunately she was right,and I'm now scheduled for a 3 level ACDF C4-C7 on 7/10/12 due to serious spinal cord damage & collapsed discs.

I'm beyond grateful that she caught this, because if it hadn't been caught, according to both the PA and the neurosurgeon, there was a very good chance I would have been paralyzed from the neck down during intubation for the lower back surgeries!!!

This may not be the case for you (and I hope it isn't!), but it is worth having checked out - better safe than sorry!
    Slipped on a wet stair case the morning of 10/31/11, landed flat on my tush & blew up my spine & both SI joints.
    3 level ACDF C4-C7 7/11/12 (collapsed discs & severe cord compression)
    lumbar fusion to be scheduled once healed from ACDF
  • Thanks, Cheeky! I just left a message with my neurosurgeon's nurse. Hopefully I'll hear back today.

As much as I really don't need any further spinal issues...I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks again for the input!
  • Let us know how it turns out! Hoping it's nothing serious for you :)
    Slipped on a wet stair case the morning of 10/31/11, landed flat on my tush & blew up my spine & both SI joints.
    3 level ACDF C4-C7 7/11/12 (collapsed discs & severe cord compression)
    lumbar fusion to be scheduled once healed from ACDF