Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had an PLIF almost 1 month ago.

meg101mmeg101 Posts: 31
edited 07/01/2012 - 3:06 PM in Recovering from Surgery
I'm 20 years old and I had an PLIF on my L4/5 on June 6th. I still have some pain down the legs when I stand up, and i'm having a hard time sleeping on my sides, my hips hurt and will feel numb if I lay on my side to long, is this normal? and I am a stomach sleeper, is it alright to sleep on my stomach now?

After this surgery my pain has been a little better I hardly need pain meds, sometimes all I have is Tylenol. I am so happy so far that I am not in alot of pain. I hope it stays this way :)
I'm 24 years old, I have had back problems since I was 17...

June 6th 2012 (I was 20 years old) On my L4/5 I got a Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF) with 4 pedicle screws, 2 rods, and 2 cages.

• You are still so early in your recovery.

I still have a hard time sleeping, so yes, it is normal. Find a position that's comfortable, though you will probably need to shift a few times during the night.

I am also a stomach sleeper. I have only recently been able to sleep on my stomach and I had my PLIF in 2010 and revision in December 2011. Oh boy, it's so painful. I get totally stuck and the pain takes my breath away sometimes. I've tried sleeping on my back and side, but it's not comfy there either.

Just listen to how your body feels. If it doesn't hurt, then carry on. If there is increased pain, stop doing it.

It seems you are recovering well, which is excellent news. It's always good to read a positive post. Just don't overdo it. It's so easily done when you start to feel better. You may think you can conquer the world, but just be protective of your back in future.

I'm sure your surgeon has given you a few restrictions, like no bending, lifting or twisting, and it's very important to adhere to this. I didn't and that's why I [probably] ended up having revision fusion surgery. No fun at all.

You might still be sore some days, but just rest if/when this happens. You're doing great.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • meg101mmeg101 Posts: 31
    edited 07/04/2012 - 6:07 PM
    I'm sorry you had to have another surgery :( I'm having one of my bad days today. I can't get comfy now when I'm sleeping and this might sound wierd... but after I walk or take a shower (I have shower seat) my legs shake and my back will hurt! I take a Vallium and it seems to help. Sometimes I take advatage on how good I feel, I know I shouldn't but I am careful.

Also, my steri strips (I don't know if I spelled that right haha) won't come off! and it's been a month.

Thanks for answering me back :)
    I'm 24 years old, I have had back problems since I was 17...

June 6th 2012 (I was 20 years old) On my L4/5 I got a Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF) with 4 pedicle screws, 2 rods, and 2 cages.