Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 weeks post-op ACDF C6-C7

Hi everyone, wanted to share my experience with those who are considering or will be having ACDF. My surgery was to correct only one level. The procedure was without issues and successful. My recovery to-date have been fairly smooth. Upon waking up in the recovery room I immediately noticed I had no pain in my right arm, which is where the symptoms were originally occurring. I stayed overnight in the hospital. My spinal surgeon was noncommittal on my wearing the soft collar - he suggested that I only needed to use it for comfort. I found it completely annoying and took it off before he even finished that sentence!

During the first couple of weeks after the surgery I was stiff and sore in my upper back but sleeping in my bed was fairly easy. The soreness seems to have resolved itself for now, although I occasionally feel slight stiffness/pain in between my shoulder blades -- nothing that a bit of rest can't help. I did find myself taking really long naps (3 hours!) which I'm attributing to the healing process.

My doctor also said no stretching/running/lifting exercise until I've been cleared for fusion, which will take 8-12 weeks. I've been taking walks and started by just going around the block and am now doing about a 1/2 hour. I do find that after I've been sitting/relaxing for awhile, I tend to stiffen up, so walking around a bit is a good way to work out the kinks so to say.

Speaking of rest, you absolutely have to make sure you do this! I am not a person that sits still very well and after having to endure the painful symptoms of the herniated disc and then the agony of deciding on the surgery, I now tell myself to SIT DOWN and REST so that fusion can happen sooner than later. There have been days when I have felt so good that I have to remind myself to TAKE IT EASY and not overdo anything, but I don't want to have to go through all this again anytime soon so "sit and stay" is my motto for now.

All-in-all, things are going well. I am extremely glad I made the decision to go ahead with the procedure and am so grateful to my wonderful spinal surgeon and his team who had to listen to a few teary phone calls from me before the surgery!

Happy to answer any questions and will continue to post as FUSION continues......

• Congrats on the success of your surgery, hopefully you have continued to progress and this will soon be something of the distant past for you. Typically the one level fusions are easier to recover from, although I have seen multi's have the same results. Again congrats on your success and hopefully you will be back out living a normal busy life soon.