Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having piriformis surgery tomos

Hey guys I'm new here and thought I'd share my story. I'm 24 and live in adelaide Australia. I've had bad buttock pain for a year. Mainly cannot sit but standing all day as a teacher is just as bad. the pain readiates down my legs. It started from no where and as I play footy I thought it was just tight glutes etc. So had endless pysio, cortisone injections without any luck and after a couple of months of constant pain got pretty worried.

I had an MRI scan on lumbar spine (clear), had steroid injections into si joints and facet joints to completely rule out the back. pain continued after injections so it was clear my back wasnt the issue (which I basically knew anyway). Had my buttocks MRI scanned and came back clear which really depressed and confused me. I took valium and endone to ease the pain for months. After 6 more months of no answer i got my buttocks ultra sounded by the best in the state. He found my sciatic nerve split and part of it ran through my piriformis muscle. He then looked at the MRI scan I had previousy had on the buttocks and found the issue there aswell. THERE IS A WARNING TO EVERYONE. GET A SECOND OPINION. THE MRI RADIOLIGIST WAS MEANT TO BE THE BEST IN THE STATE BUT STILL MISSED MY SCIATIC NERVE SPLIT AND COST ME 6 MONTHS WORTH OF PAIN.

So I saw a number of hip surgeons who are not experienced in the area but finally one (the only one in adelaide. and i had given up hope here and had plane tickets booked for sydney) has done piriformis release surgery. He is confident he can fix my problem. He deals and touches the sciatic nerve every day with his hip surgeries. He says I will be fine 2 weeks after surgery aswell as he will be very careful and doesnt cut musce but divides it. (knew age style). Surgery may seem drastic to some...but a year of pain with no help and a dependence on strong pain killers is a ridiculous life style for a 24 year old.

Anyways I am extremely nervous. Not so much about the surgery but what is riding on it. This is my chance to get my life back and be pain free. The depression of being in constant pain was so overwhelming I considered ending my life. I really need this to work. And I pray to god this is the end of a horror story for me. I will tell you guys if it works and I'll tell you the surgeons name etc...my email is seamoski@hotmail.com if anyone wants to talk

Shamo xo

• denisechristine84denisechristine84 Los AngelesPosts: 37
    edited 02/23/2015 - 9:07 AM
    Hi there, I know that I'm commenting years later, but how did the surgery go? I've had so much piriformis pain and nothing is working for me either!
    1 1/2 years chronic pain in butt, hip, and sometimes low back. 7 steroid injections (piriformis, s1, si joint, hip joint). Hip labral repair arthroscopic surgery 12/2015. Sciatic neurolysis 12/2015.
  • Tnardone73TTnardone73 Posts: 1
    edited 07/12/2015 - 11:26 AM
    I'm curious to know the outcome of your surgery. I've been suffering with piriformis for over a year now and I'm desperate to find some relief.

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
  • Hi. My husband has suffered with piriformis problems on & off for years. Usually in his case meds & religiously doing physical therapy exercises a few times a day gets it under control. He went a year with it constant & nothing helping & we were considering chasing the surgery route. He purchased an SI belt & it was fantastic. Now when pain returns he wears the belt again & the pain goes. I know he's very fortunate.

I have severe spine & SI damage. I wore the belt for 20minutes & had to suffer a month long pain flare that got me really frightened. Obviously my body doesn't like being pulled back into the correct shape! If you're sure that it's piriformis syndrome it could be worth trying before you consider something as extreme as surgery.

Can I ask, we're you a runner? My husband used to train & run marathons. His problems started after being sedentary for a while & then throwing himself back into exercise. I just wondered what your story is?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • shadlersshadler Northridge CaliforniaPosts: 2
    Hi, very interested in your discussion. I too have been suffering with what is believed to be the dreaded P-syndrome. Finally had a cortisone shot directly into the p-muscle that took the pain away completely. The bad news it lasted 10days. I do the stretches 3 four times a day. One day I feel like it might be gone. As soon as I try a set of doubles tennis. The pain is back with a vengeance . I have found a doctor that specializes in a outpatient surgery that cuts the performs tendon where it attaches to the greater trochanter. Or he makes an incision into the muscle to release pressure on sciatic nerve. I will see the doctor on thursday. Any input from you fellow sufferers appreciated. Be well. 
  • Hi all, going in for my first cortisone shot today . I was hoping someone who posted in this thread can update?
    I have 6mm herniation of L5/S1 and bulking L3L4, L4L5 and my dr (2 of them) have said surgery isnt needed and its "likely" PS, whatever, I just want to live with less pain.

If that's the case, great lets handle the pain and get me off the meds. Im in daily pain with Percocet being used as the reliever. I workout 3-4 days a week I lift kind of heavy (subjective) but stay away from anything rigorous below my waist. In the past few weeks I have been miserable and Im looking for what has worked, be it surgery, Cortisone, I do stretches (they NEVER help) for you guys

Sory for rambling but I was hoping to resurrect this thread and see what has helped you guys

• Truly hoping Shamo finds relief. 
    I have suffered for abt 5 years with Piriformis syndrome. I have had PT, I stretch every day after my workouts. I am an avid tennis player. I've been getting injections off and on for abt 2 years. My last doc visit he did discuss an outpatient surgical procedure in which he just snips the Piriformis from the outer hip muscle. I cannot see continuing these shots.
    I am a young 65 year old, very active and am just tired of the pain. It is excruciating. I have spent way too much time on the heating pad hoping for relief.
    I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences.  
  • Have u had surgery?  Interested in your outcome. 
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hello Destring

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it, as there will be no updates.

With help from  the link below you can search for articles on this subject or I suggest you create a new discussion using the link below

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.