Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

27 Male - 7 Months "mild" L5/S1 Herniation

Hi All

Ive read so many stories now about people and their pain. And I now am able to empathise.

I am not looking for a fix, just peoples views. I herniated my L5/S1 in Dec 2011, its now July and my pain remains due to me not taking the required time to rest and recover (i continued to work on and off). The herniation I believe was caused due to years of bad posture, working a desk job (past 9 years) and possibly some bad form in the gym. I had a bad habit of standing in the bathroom mirror for hours also cutting my hair and grooming! Sounds silly, but doing this for sure took its toll
on my L5/S1 area.

Anyhow. I am 27 years of age, male, current weight is 74kg. Very low body fat. After extensive research I believe I have anterior pelvic tilt, tight hams and weak abs. I now do core exercises and stretches which really help out.

When my disc first went, i was in agony. Could not walk at all, saw a Chiro (in the UK (I was on vacation at the time)) whom adised to rest for a few days and then keep active. I did this and found improvements day by day. After 3 weeks of rest I returned to work (desk job in saudi arabia). After a week of work I was off again due to further pain.

This leads me to where I am now. I find it difficult/uncomfortable to work as sitting puts a lot of pressure on my L5/S1. Its
difficult to stand for long periods without discomfort unless i keep my core firm. My main concern is my disc doesnt seem to be recovering while I am at work. I can work for a few days, then all weekend I spend my time recovering for the next weeks work. Ive told work I cannot continue like this and am off again resting (pain will deminish fully while off).

IVe seen 4 different doctors. Had an MRI and many X rays. All doctors say my herniation is mild. It will recover with time. But I am not so sure. I am extremely cautious but still in mild pain (whilst doing this on and off work routine). If I take time off the pain pretty much vanishes but I still am on edge it will return naturally, my brain is trained now to be cautious and all sports and weight training i stopped. For sure if I spent a day sitting down on and off pain would return. I can honestly say I do everything in my power to avoid symptoms coming back while off work.

Ive done everything except for surgery. Surgery for me I will not have until i have tried extended rest with core muscle balancing. Call me foolish, but I am not willing to take the risks at this stage (pain IMO isnt bad enough).

Anyhow. I am interested to know peoples throughts on my case. Is it known extended rest can help? As said I am willing to take as long as I need off for my disc to somewhat return into poition. If this does happen. Will it always be a weak point, from experience could I ever work a desk job again without the pains I have now?

Im sorry to waffle! I have a habit of going into far too much detail. I feel because at the start of my injury I wa inexperienced, I may have turned a minor herniation into something more severe.

Many thanks!

• Man, its sounds a lot like my situation. Please keep up with your hopeful progress and I will do the same
  • rushy_23rrushy_23 Posts: 8
    edited 07/06/2012 - 7:31 AM
    I have four more sessions of physio left so will continue with those, I am off work now and plan to remain this way until I feel comfortable with my situation. It may seem extreme but I am also considering if required that I will hand in my notice and take extended time off.

I think if this solution fails and I do not return to my normal self, then I will look into surgery.

I had a bad bout of pain on Wed's night, its clearly quite rapidly whilst resting over the last two days. Tomrrow I will return to some light core exercise and stretches, may even attempt some hydrotherapy. Will let you know how I get on.

LBP is such life changer, I feel your pain Hutson. What seems to work for you? Have you tried a PT or any stretches/core movements?

Here is what mine looks like from the MRI. Herniated L1-S1 (?) I think. Does this look moderate to you?

What works for me.
    -I can only sit for like 20min. I HAVE to get up and walk around every 20 min. Some pain relief there.
    -Laying down with an ice pack on my lower back. Pain relief there too.

I've done about 1 month of therapy so far with very minimal results. Yes, I do core exercises and stretching. Light swimming and cardio too.

Agreed on the LBP as a life changer. Dude, I was a very very active guy up until about 1.5 months ago. Totally rocked my world upside down.I almost feel like a handicapped person. I can't do hardly ANYthing without pain.
    I've always been a very health conscious person and took pretty good care of myself....and this is what i get??!!

Anway here are some things I've learned so far:
    1-Keep hope. Look forward to a better tomorrow. If you lose hope, everything is already lost.
    2-Stay positive. Negative emotions add stress and will bring you down. Its amazing to me that just a positive attitude can go a long way. I know it sounds corny and cliche, but I've found it works.
    3-Patience. This stuff takes time....a long time. I'm used to quick results, and this is killing me, but I refer myself to 1 & 2

Do you ever get sudden shots of pain? Like everything is feeling ok, then...whamo pain in the back buttocks and down the leg?
    I feel like I am at some sort of breaking point. Either things are going to get better or worse. Every get that feeling?

Sorry to rant. Just thankful I am not the only one going through this...
    Please stay in contact, I'd like to see how things pan out for us both.

• I believe mine looked quite similar, but I am not sure. I will be re-seeing the doctor at some point so will try and capture my MRI to compare.

Our symptoms and situations sound practically the same. I do get pain in my butt and rear of the leg, I am very careful to avoid further pain so usually this is caused by something I have done, maybe twisted quite badly or leaned over a little too much.

Are you working with the pain at the moment, or off work/studies? I think a lot of the none surgical methods exist for people whom will recover over time. I think there is a point of damage which people will not recover from without surgerical intervention. I hate to admit this, but based on what I have read and my own experience, this is how it seems to be. I really do hope long term rest helps us both, but odd feels stacked.

Out of interest what did you do to cause your herniation, and I suspect you have been in pain for a similar amount of time?

Emotionally I am fine when there is no severe pain, but when it affects my daily routine (like when I am at work) I do get down very quickly. My issue is this may affect my future career, I now have a 7 month old son whom is dependant on me as our only family source of income, however rather than being the responsible one I am just as dependant as him... Very worrying times ahead.
    I have an awesome job at the moment, I may have to give it all up to rest due to the LBP. Will try keep my chin up!
  • To answer your questions.
    -I am trying to work with the pain. Sitting is what is killing me. I have to sit for my job. Yesterday (sunday) i was able to lay on the ground and not sit. Hardly ANY pain. Almost no pain the entire day. Now that I'm back sitting at work today, I'm back in pain again. Ugh!!! No, I have not taken time off. But I am planning on it.

Some things that no doubt caused my herniation.
    -moving furniture up stairs, by myself (stupid)
    -overhead military presses, and squats in gym
    -sitting for extended periods (1hour +)

So yes, I've probably caused it myself. But, Ive never had any problems, or back pain before. So what I thought started as just some sore back muscles, turned out to be much worse. Man, I wish I could've found out sooner to avoid this situation.

Anyway, hope I helped answer your questions...
  • Hi Hutson,

Well IMO if the sitting at work is causing an issue then I think you need to stop it. I am not expert but any further pressure put on the area isnt going to help recovery. I'm afraid sitting is the worst position for an L5/S1 herniation so you need to cut it out for a while.

Your gym routine will have to be heavily modified also, I no longer do squats, only light weighted lunges for glutes and quads, military press I'd say is a hell no until you are pretty much all clear. But even then I'd avoid.
    Really sorry to hear that but at least you understand where you went wrong now.

I've been following the below program and I have to admit its taken the edge off the pain (however I do have heavy Anterior Pelvic Tilt):

- http://www.endyourbackpainnow.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/4-essential-strategies-for-the-correction-of-anterior-pelvic-tilt.pdf

The physio did explain to me my abs/glutes and hams need to be trained to improve my posture, also to take the workload off my lower back muscles and hip flexors. If you do suffer from APT I'd suggest you give them a whirl once your feeling a little less sore. But from experience dont do them while you are sore as it can make it worse. Also follow the guide properly and use good form.

Also have a look into Mckenzie stretches. I wasnt so sure on them first, but Ive been doing them at a very low level to begin with (resting my chin on a pillow only with arms flat infront). It seems to be a good position to rest in from time to time.

I've been off work a week now and today is the first day I feel positive and only slight pain in my lower back. I even did a small gym session today consisting of reverse flies/dumbbell rows/pullups (the flies and rows I had my torso against the incline bench).

I know all our situations are different but its something to consider. Strengthen your back muscles and take the pressure off that lower back. Our discs may never be 100% but corrected posture and balanced core muscles may steer us out of trouble.
  • Hey there. Just wanted to check in and see how things were going for ya. Any improvements? I looked into that link you sent. I'm going to start those exercises into my routine....see if it helps.

My update:
    The good: Much less tingling in my foot. Hardly any. I can sit for a bit longer. Say 30-40 min, then I have to get up and walk around for relief. I've also gone back to the gym, but only very light cardio stuff.
    The not so good: I have more shooting pain in my foot that before. Its on and off. Not really sure what sets this off.

Overall, if I was at a 6-7 (out of 10) pain level at the beginning of July, I'd say its down to a 5-6 now. So not much improvement, but at least its something. Its very hard to tell, I have my good and bad days.
  • Hi matey,

It sounds like your still on the rocky road but good to hear of some progress, are you still pushing yourself to work in pain?

Its been real difficult for me, Im now totally off work and spend the first 4 weeks mainly taking bed rest with light exercises, amist this routine below I did feel a slight relapse in my disc but it cleared up in a few days:

- plank (but starting off with my knees on the floor)
    - lunge with knee on a pillow to stretch the hip flexors
    - lying on my back bringing each knee to my chest SLOWLY (i only did this once the disc pain diminished)
    - slight McKenzie stretch
    - hamstring stetch whilst lying on my back

My wife has been so helpful and has done all my cooking and cleaning duties as well as looking after the little one, Ive not sat down properly since I first went off work.

Totally stopped all my gym time (cardio and weights), we have a pull up bar in the locla gym which has handles at waist high for elevated crunches, I use this to just hang my body off the floor, apparently this helps to release the vertebrae compression in your spine. I usually hang for like 40 seconds then release, rest and then go for another 40 seconds.

Finally I've been hitting the pills again but only the muscle relaxer's due to my back becoming mega tight after my suspect minor disc bulge relapse mentioned above.

Honestly Hutson after all of the above I feel nearly back on my feet!! I have developed some numbness on the outside of my right quad but I believe this is just part of the nerve compression symptoms. I have zero pressure in my lower back as it stands. Its still early days yet and I havent built up the confidence to try and sit down for an extended period of time but its the most progres I've had since the pain at work last month.

Sorry for the long post, but I'd strongly suggest you take serious rest if you havent already, stop everything thats causing you pain and rest up. Once you feel a little better start to try out the muscle strengthening exercises that suit you. Pain during an activity is a sign your doing something wrong, listen to your body before you cause extra damage. If you have somebody to help out that will seriously improve recovery.

Again sorry for the essay but hope this helps as well as gives you some light at the end of the tunnel!

• hutson797hhutson797 Posts: 35
    edited 08/14/2012 - 5:19 AM
    Hey there. No apologies for the essay. I'm glad you wrote back. I'm always look forward to hear how you are progressing. And its awesome to hear about you're improving.

Yes, I am still having to push through the pain. Which is exactly what you're NOT supposed to do, but I really don't have anyone to help, so leaving work is not an option. I'd lose my job if I took off for a period of time.

As of the end of last week I was doing great. Down to like a 2-1 pain level. I overdid it on Saturday trying to do too much around town. Back to a 4-5 pain level now. (Dumb, I know.) But at least I realize it CAN get better.

Having to sit at work it certainly NOT helping. I still have a LOT of pressure on my lower back. What worries me is that I hope I am not causing permanent damage by sitting at work.
    -I'm doing my stretches everyday. (i'm a little nervous about the McKenzie, seems to me that it would have the opposite effect)
    -Using ice helps when I can use it. Dunno if heat would help with a herniated disc in the acute phase.
    -Going to try and do even less exercise than I am doing now, (very light cardio) maybe that will help.

Are the muscle relaxers helping? I would like to go back to the doc to ask about those. My back definitely locks up quickly sitting.

I'm so confused by this stuff.
    -Pain level at a 5-6 this morning, now (its about noon) almost a 2-3.
    -I have random SHOOTING pain like 2-3 times a day for about 5 sec each time.

Glad I'm not the only one. Keep me updated man and keep at it!

• Sally711SSally711 Posts: 156
    edited 08/16/2012 - 3:27 PM
    Hello-- just read through your posts, and wow- could be my symptoms also. I have been in the LBP 'club' for about 5 years now- injured while working a physical job, and my darn stubbornness about keeping going, pushing through the pain sure kicked my butt! I have nerve damage now, which could have possibly not occurred had I found this site earlier in my recovery. I simply thought I would get over it, get back to my old self again. Well, though I still have hope, I do know I will never be at the physical level I once was in life.
    BUT, I have found great ways to adapt to situations, (like prepping dinner through the day instead of all at once). I still garden,. using bathtubs on cement slabs so that my veggies are at my comfort level to work in.. not on the ground).
    You guys have nailed the PT and exercising on the head... keeping the core strong is soooo important! Ergonomics, posture, all of it is key to help support the back.
    One thing I didn't read earlier is swimming... fantastic for our backs.. and the zero gravity feeling is wonderful! Only in the pool can I really feel like I am stretching my legs,back etc....
    I also have worked through depression related to chronic pain, learning about cognitive behavior therapy-- has helped me mentally.
    All I can add.. is that pain is the way our bodies communicate with us. listen to it! dont' ignore.. push through to be tough. It won't work. can you take time off work with short term disability>? Try to make recovery the most important, (non-family) thing in your life!! I have found that the first few months are so important to recovery.
    I look forward to reading more about how you guys are doing! You are both great support for each other:)
    Have you tried the stand up work station? Instead of sitting... you stand but lean on a board thingy... check it out. I haven't seen one myself, but do know they exist. May help you so you can keep working your job. :)
    Keep your heads up, posture correct, and have a great day!!!!
  • I am about 4 months in since my initial visit to the doc. I have seen some relief, but not much. I'd say if I started on a 7-8 pain level, I am now at a 4-5. A few days, I have actually been pain free. But the pain always seems to return. Sooo confusing and frustrating!!! What I worry about is permanent pain & damage. I am going to see my doc Friday and speaking to him about epidural injections.
    I have cut out ANYthing that would cause strain on my back. IE lifting, running, bending over, twisting, etc. Done.
    I do all my stretches and exercises my PT have me religiously.

I am still able to work (sitting), but get up every 30min or so to walk. Which does help. I use ice about 2-3 times a day. I've been popping IBprofen 800's like its my job. I am afraid that any sitting may be hurting my situation, but really can't take off work. The one constant I've had is numbness in my left foot (outside and on pinkie toe -- ie L1/S1). Its numb about 90% of the time. I really hope that isn't a sign of permanent damage.

So any suggestions, beyond what you mentioned above would be fantastic.
  • I have been through the same mess as you when I was 18 years old. I had a disectomy on the L5 and S1, I also had a herniation on my L4 but it wasn't causing me any pain. I had my surgery when I was 19 and now I am 24 years old and have very mild pain. My pain only happens when I work out for long periods of time or slept wrong. I have some flare ups that are so bad I just want to cry or throw myself off a cliff! If the pain is bearable I would suggest that you look into doing acupuncture and checking with your chiropractor about disc decompression. I have been doing decompressions and it has helped a lot! Also if you are doing pelvis tilts, that will help with the pain in the lower back because you are allowing your nerves to not be pinched. Make sure you are sleeping on your back with pillows under your legs, elevation is going to help with your back also.

I wish you luck and I hope you find relief
    Heather :)
  • Wow a lot of comments since I last visited, thats for keeping this thread alive.

I know you are concerned about your job mate, but look at it long term. Any further damage you do now you may not work for a very long time. As mentioned many times pain is a signal. If there are not options available then I dont know what to advise, you know your situation better than anyone :(

Its been really up and down for me of late, I will keep it brief:

- Started to see a chiro in hope for more help. He mentioned I was tight in the upper and lower back, but my MRI looks okay for a full recovery. They performed ultra sound and electrotherapy for the muscle spasms, however what really loosened my back up was the use of an extremely hot hot-pack over the lumbar errectors (I will admit I was screaming like a little girl). Since having that done for about 20mins 3 times a week my lower back is no longer tight at all. Amazing. Id invest in a hot water bottle and try it once a day in the evening time for the same duration (if you still have the spasms).

- The chiro however didnt give me much faith, he was pushing me to return to work, but from experience every time I sit down I get the "disc' pains and numbness in my butt. Tried it a couple of times during his sessions and made me feel worse. He was stumped, so I canceled the last two sessions...

- The chiro was a last attempt at me returning to work which was successful at curing the muscle spasms but still not 100% myself (still nagging pains at say 3-4 level). I noticed I couldnt stand for long without discomfort, and sitting again still a major issue. Have handed in my notice at work to look into long term recovery.

- I started re-looking into reabilitation of the body and curing anterior pelvic tilt and stumbled upon two reabilitation/posture specialists:
    = John Miller
    = Pete Egoscue

- I found some pretty amazing stretches to help release the tightness and reverse the affects of bad posture. One of the best stretches is the supline groin stretch. Anyhow, John advised me on certain stretches to go with my core workouts and they seem to be helping a lot. Ive cured the standing up problems and feel much less tense around my lower back. However still have problems sitting down, I get the same old pain so will avoid it at all costs until I feel more confident

- I agree with you on the McKenzie stretches, its purpose is to move the pain back to just the lower back. I felt it becoming uncomfortable so removed it from my routine.

- However, today I have no idea what Ive done, but I have shooting pains in my lower back, this time the left hand side (if facing me). Previously its always been the right hand side annoying me. The amount of rest Ive taken now I would have thought my disc bulge would have severely reduced. So I have no idea whats going on. Its got me down quite a lot this evening after making such amazing progress.. I hate to say it but I feel something is seriously wrong around my L5-S1 area and nobody will ever be able to pin point it because Im not "that bad". My pains and discomfort arent severe enough to justify surgery, but i feel this is the only way I will reach the next level as it were (if it is successful).

- I return back to the UK soon so plan to invest in an inversion table (read many good things about this), and continue with John Miller's exercises as well as core strengthening. The exercises he advises which I urge you to look into are:

- Static back
    - Supine groin
    - Prone frog
    - Cobra
    - Hip crossover

I am dreading the flight back, I feel it will be a disaster and I will leave the plane on a stretcher. But I cant stay where I am I need to return home with my family. Anyhow, at the peak of my recovery pain was at 0.5 whilst standing (lol), discomfort Id say between 1 and 2.

Haha, and I said brief huh, my fingers do run away with themselves some times.

Depression I totally understand Hutson, the pain like now really gets me down. Doesnt even have to be high, if I feel I have degressed in recovery it makes me really moody and negative. I cant help it, its just been way too long feeling this way. You just have to keep telling yourself you will get better, but only if you do all the right things. :)

• rushy,

Man, I can't believe it, it sounds almost EXACTLY like me.I feel like something really is screwy about my L5/S1. No one has really pinpointed it yet. Sometimes I don't know if they will... Surgery is off the table because I'm not in THAT much pain and my injury isn't that severe.
    Doctor has recommended an epidural injection. This, to me, is a band aid solution. Sure, I may feel great for a short period, but the pain will almost always return. I'd almost rather deal with the pain, IF there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Again, IF!

For example. This Wednesday (Sept 12). Pain during the day, horrible pain at night. Shooting pain into the pinkie toe, like someone was stabbing me there. Eventually settled down. This was after using an ice pack, which is supposed to help!
    Thursday (Sept 13) yesterday....I was pain free most of the day. Both days I did the EXACT same things(s). This is what worries me. I can be going along ok...then wham...back in pain.

Pain has also started down my other leg (right). Its very mild on most days...then again, that's how the other leg started.

Most days it goes like this: Wake up almost pain free. Usually pain free up until 11-12 in the afternoon. Pain starts, slowly creeping in around 1-2pm. By 4pm, pain is usually around the 5-6 pain level. Subsides a little when get back home and lay down. 6-10pm lower pain levels, but I almost always get a few of those little pain shots down into my pinkie toe. I never sit too long at work, always walk around do stretches at work, etc.

Here are a few things I've begun doing recently which have seemed to help. Sitting on one of those large exercise ball and bouncing lightly for about 5min. Supposedly, this helps lightly pump this disc and bring in blood and oxygen. Most times I've done this, I do get relief. I've also purchased an inversion table. This does seem to relieve some pressure, although it does seem temporary. If I could just get one of those for the office, I could just hang upside down do my work, ha!

I've had points during the day when I was down to like a .5 or even a .25 pain level ;)! Then almost out of nowhere, it seems to return. AGGRHHH!!!

My plan off attack. I'm going to sit down with my boss about getting possible time off. We'll see how that goes. I'm also making an appointment with a highly recommended orthopedic surgeon. NOT for surgery, but really just to sit down and review what more I could be doing...

You know, from all the research I've put in about back pain at this point, I could probably become a damn orthopedic doctor!!
    But, in all honesty, I've seen people who've taken as little as 6 weeks to recover all the way to 2 years! Its all dependent of the person. I really believe, at least in our cases, we've had YEARS of bad habits and muscle imbalances. Its gonna take a LONG time to correct those. But it can be done. I'm at about 4 months now.

I'm holding out hope man!!
    Please keep up updated rushy
  • I'm also going to look into those exercises you recommended.
  • Hi Hutson,

Sorry to hear your still struggling. Our situations do sound so alike its uncanny.

Read your message in detail and totally know where you are at the moment. I expect you are in the same situation now?

I will get right to the point avoiding wasting more valuable time:
    - Stop all activities that make pain worse now. Note what eases and causes pain, stop the bad and do more of the good
    - I understand finances and work are a problem, but if its making your health worse I strongly urge you to consider your work situation. Extended time off will be needed to make a return of health.
    - Get in touch with a group in the US called Egoscue, if you can afford it please I urge you get onto their self assessment and workout plan. They will assess where your spinal disorders come from, and will advise the best exercises. The most amazing one is the supine groin (google it). Its much better when used with one of their TOWER's. Will make sense after you have done some reading

Now for the bit you may not believe. Ive done all of the above mentioned and can honestly tell you Ive not felt this good in a long time. Ive been doing the exercises now for 3 weeks. 1 week with the tower, my disc bulge pains have gone, my tight lower back muscle spasms have massively reduced!
    Its unreal. I never thought Id see the day. Ive stopped so many other habits I had which all help me. But the exercises are the main factor. Im back in the UK now, surfaces are higher, my bathroom sink is higher up, fridge access is better. I believe all this reduction in bending with the exercises and me avoiding sitting has helped so so much.

Im waffling a bit as Im about to sleep. But had to update you before I went to bed. Mate if you dont do something serious to change your lifestyle now you may never get better.
    The advice may not work for all but Im a good case that the problems can be reversed. So look into it, I want you to feel yourself again as I am on the way to achieving myself.

Mate I hear that. I feel Ive learned so much more than these so called back specialists and doctors. They dont know much other than surgery or drugs. You need to hit the root cause which Id say most of the time if you have hyperlordosis is tight hop flexors. Progressive stretching (IE via the TOWER) is a great way to ease them helping reduce your lordosis back to a normal position.

Im updating you via my phone so sorry if the message is a mess. Hope its informative enough to help. Stop the McKenzie exercises and stretches and read up on Egosue and their clinics methods!

There is light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Your situation is also very similar to mine. I'm a little older, 39, and am now suffering after years of mistreating my back, poor posture, car accident, etc. which have all resulted in degenerative disc disease with herniated discs at L5 and S1. I also have a desk job which involves hours of sitting. As a result, I have my desk raised and a high chair so I can both sit or stand while I am working on my computer. But also, my job is extremely dependent on me which does not give me the opportunity to simply take a day off when my back is in pain. I have to work through it most of the time, so things have not improved greatly for me the last couple of years. I am doing PT, and also taking hydrocodone and naproxen to fight pain. My problem is finding the right balance to keep flare-ups to a minimum. Sit too long, pain...stand too long, pain...lie in bed too long, pain. I also purchased an inversion table and find that partial inversion seems to work best for me. Fully inverted only causes more pain. Just got to find the right balance.
  • Rushy,

Whats up man? Its so great to hear that you're improving! It really gives me hope! I read through some of your older posts rushy.....and on 9/11 you mentioned "...dreading the flight back, I feel it will be a disaster and I will leave the plane on a stretcher."
    So, its pretty obvious that whatever you're doing...keep doing it man!

Here's my latest:
    -Finally caved and got an epidural injection on Oct 4th. At best I got about 40% relief. Lasted about 2-3 weeks. Now the pain seems to be creeping back. No surprise, I did a follow up visit and was told..."oh, you just need another injection!" ...I declined.

-I have an appointment with Egoscue today. Very grateful that there is actually an office within 10 minutes of me. Just by what you have told me, I'm pretty excited. I've tried just about everything else in the last 6 months, and its time to give this a shot.

-Couldn't agree more about the docs and specialists. While they all have been nice, and mean well, they only know so much. Get surgery or take drugs. We both know our bodies better than anyone. Drugs and surgery are LAST option. I want to correct the ROOT cause, not band-aid the issue.
    Funny you mention "hyperlordosis" because that is exactly what the doc told me I was developing when i got the injection. Its also funny you mention tight hip flexors because I'm constantly massaging the area because it feels so tight.

All right, off to my Egoscue appointment. Thanks for the encouragement rushy!

• Hi all. Has been so long that I have posted on here.

Have read the last posts, sorry to hear you guys are still on the pain improvement journey. I'd like to think that you both are better now?

I'm know for long posts so will try and keep it short. But what a journey the last few years have been. Whist I am still in pain daily, I can happily tell you my pain levels are now from a scale of 1 to at very most 4.

I am back at work now in another new job, Im back in the gym also "only" doing weighted compound lifts (squats / deadlifts), really feel like I have a large portion of my life back.

Whilst I believe the key thing for my recovery has been time, I must say increasing the amount of walking i do helps greatly, avoiding sitting down for long periods and finally the compound lifts actually really help out too. I wouldn't advise lifting weights until anyone is certain in their ability to do so. But its transforming my posture strength. Front squats with a barbell are a God send. If you can master them I do recommend them.
    If you can. Start them with only using your body weight. Once you master the movements.

Ah also forgot, I invested in an inversion table also, another great addition to my LBP avoidance routine. I spend about 20 mins a day on it and it really helps stretch the vertebrae out. Feel so good for it once I've been on it.

I hope this info is helpful to you all, and my story I'm so proud of in terms of recovery. I never thought I'd salvage any type of life. But I would say that im more healthy now than I have ever been. And can pretty much enjoy anything other than long periods of sitting (which isnt a bad thing really).

It's all down to posture the way I see it. Slouch, incorrectly using your spine. It's no wonder were all in pain. Years of abuse adds up.
    Keep moving, and get using your body painway its supposed to be used.

Look forward to hearing from you all if you are still around.