Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severed Ulnar Nerve

Hello all -

Long story short, I severed my Ulnar nerve at my elbow on April 22nd of this year. I had surgery on May 2nd to repair it. My pain has fluctuated since the day of the accident. When I initially severed it, my ring and pinky fingers immediately went numb and the constant tingling feeling in my fingers was enough to drive me crazy, however now I would give anything to just be concerned about that. Since the surgery, the tingling is still present, but it is now accompanied by a constant burning sensation in my fingers, which is at times, nauseating. It can almost make me feel sick, but more than anything, it is so uncomfortable. I have discussed all of this with my doctor and he says this is perfectly normal until that nerve regrows back down to my fingers, which could take up to a year. He has prescribed me Gabapentin and when that didn't work, we moved on to Lyrica. I've been taking that for over a month now and I notice no difference between the two drugs except the co-pay. My question is what should I be expecting out of these drugs exactly and what else is there that I could be taking? What is the next step on this ladder? I am not physically comfortable and I am going to lose my mind if I have to go on like this for much longer. I'm sure everyone says this, but I am not a baby. I have a high tolerance for pain, but this nerve thing has completely knocked the wind out of me. Any input, advice, etc is much appreciated. Thanks so much! :)

• Oh my....you do have a huge problem dont you?? Please do not feel bad because no one can tolerate nerve pain. Yes indeed the burning pain is unbearable!!! For those that do not know...The ulnar nerve is one of the main nerves that runs down your arm and into your ring and pinky fingers.
    As for the Lyrica....actually it is not for pain , it is used to treat people who has siezeurs(sp?) but some people found that it also helped their nerve pain. Now Doctors like to try it first for nerve pain because it is not a narcotic. But it just does not work for everyone and your Doctor knows this. What you have to do now is go back to your Doctor and tell hem it is not helping at all then ask hem what else can he give you that will help. You have to have help with your pain and it's no shame to admit it.
    Always take any medicarion exactly as it is typed on the label because the last thing you want to do is run out of your meds before your next refill is due.
    Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Patsy W