Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain during MRI

I am having an mri in a week. I have a problem with relaxing during the procedure since my spinal fusions this year. I am needing to know how to relax so I wont hurt. I do take a 10 Mg valium, but it doesn't seem to help. Any tips would be great!

Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.

• I also had that problem. When I had my cervical spine MRI they locked my head in a thing to make it straight. That sure brought on the pain. I had to stay in that position for almost 35 min. I didn't take any medications at that time except massive amounts of ibuprofen and an occasional vicodin. I was drenched in sweat by the time that thing was done and almost dying. If I have to ever do it again I will ask for a stronger pain med and some sort of benzo.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I had an open MRI today. The pain wasn't quite as bad cause i wasn't squished into the machine. Laying on the hard surface just kills me. I was able to hold still better than the closed machine though. plus I took a valium before i went to the clinic.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Okay, I seen my NS yesterday and he wants me to have full spine MRI. I am having 3 seperate ones as my insurance will not cover all three at once so I am having the cervical spine Aug. 9. I have had lumbar and thoracic MRIs in past but not sure what happens during cervical. I always take a double dose of Xanax and my pain meds before any tests just to get through it.
  • I have also experience pain during my MRIs. I have had several over the last 4 year after suffering a back injury which also brought on fibromyalgia. During my MRIs I have experience feeling of pain which felt like it was trying to pull out my insides. Bizarre as it may sound. However I got another one today and all the areas in which my pain is more intense, during the MRI they started to hurt alot. I had the MRI at 6pm and it is now 11:30pm and I am aching all over in those areas. The nerve pain that my medication I take for my fibro, which has helped with the nerve pain to some degree, has gone out the window. I do believe that something goes on during an MRI, whether they are aware if it or not. It will come out years later, I'm sure. I'm just glad to read this post and know I'm not going crazy. I just wish I had answers.
    Julie kempf
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    There is no question that going through a MRI can be a frightening experience. Especially the first time. Going into a fairly small enclosed tube is enough to challenge anyone.

I've had about 8 MRIs since March of this year. Add this to the many many other MRIs over the past years and I have a box full of copies of those MRIs

CLOSED vs OPEN ... Open is much easier to go through. The technology has improved, but still the image resolution is still more detailed with the closed units.

How to get through one?

First read my old thread about MRIs Ways to enjoy your MRI

I think I have tried everything from a Martini, valium, vodoo, etc. In this past year, I think I have somewhat mastered MRIs,
    I get myself calm and relaxed before the MRI. Then I start working on some form of self meditation (or whatever relaxes your mind) Once laying down on the board, I make sure that the music they play using the headphones is cllassical, or an easy jazz score. Once inside the tube, I sort of think only about how to marry the music with the drums and songs from the MRI.....

It works for me

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I actually slept through my first cervical mri. The other half of the story is that I had just worked a triple shift at work for a total of 26 hours!

Now the next one was a surprise, I was awake, I didn't remember the cramped up feeling, oh, and the noise! I got claustrophobic and nearly had to have them bring me out. The pain from laying on that hard table put me in a flare for 3 days.

Since that one I drive 45 miles to have the open mri, I still have the pain from the table, but the experience is alot easier. I've now had 8 or 9, I've lost count, but i'm okay as long as they play good music.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Martini is a new one that I am gonna have to try