Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie from the UK

Hi everyone,

I have suffered with my back since my first pregnancy back in 1991.

A few roller coaster rides were the last straw for the poor back - I thought the signs warning not to ride if you had back problems, were just to cover them in case of injury..... So you couldn't sue!

My first op was a fenestration discectomy in January 2011 at L5/S1, I had extreme pain in my right leg which meant I had to take morphine just to move/get out of bed. Pain vanished immediately after op, and I recovered quickly. I was told that I had a 2% chance of having a problem with a slight bulge at L4/L5, and to keep my core muscles strong.

Fast forward to April 2012, and after a short run on the treadmill at the gym my back starts playing up again........ a couple of weeks of SI joint pain later and my left leg starts to go numb. Over the course of 3 days it became numb from toes to waist, with some muscles not working, causing difficulty walking. An MRI showed a massive herniation at L4/L5!! I had cauda equina symptoms and required an emergency decompression surgery with laminectomy.

I spent a week in hospital, on my back due to a dural tear ...... Which set my recovery back loads because of muscle wastage from not being able to move for so long. I am now almost 7 weeks post op, and have just returned to my desk job this week.
My surgeon had said I needed to phase back in from part time to full time, but as he has failed to send me my doctors note.... I have had to go back full time until I see him tomorrow ..... Now I have sciatic pain during the day, mostly behind my knee and down back of calf and I am worried that I am doing damage by sitting too much (I have been having loads of breaks and short walks during the day but still too much sitting)

I walk about 1.5 miles a day and I am doing some basic PT stuff. I am hoping that my numb foot is going to recover and that I can eventually get rid of the AFO brace that I have to wear due to a degree of foot drop/ankle instability. My left glute has miraculously come back to life after having no signal for 4 weeks prior to surgery ...... So I live in hope that ,the rest is going to come back soon!!

If anyone has had a similar problem with the return of sciatic pain after returning to work, any advice would be welcomed!

I also have slight bulge at L3/L4 now....... Very concerned I am going to be sliced open again next year!!
Jan 2011 fenestration discectomy L5/S1 - total recovery
May 2012 - decompression and laminectomy L4/L5
MRI shows slight bulge at L3/L4, not symptomatic yet....

• davrunnerddavrunner Posts: 478
    edited 07/18/2012 - 11:21 AM
    Welcome to Spinehealth. Sorry that you are in pain and suffering. You will find lots of information and support here.
    I hear you about the warning signs on rides. I caused myself some major pain a couple of years ago due to bumper cars and my not taking the sign seriously. I used to love Roller Coasters, but no more.... Hopefully someone will come along shortly and answer your questions, just wanted to say hi.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched