Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pinched nerve in neck, almost unbearable

BrettN524BBrettN524 Posts: 2
edited 07/23/2012 - 9:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
In the last year Id wake up every month or 2 with a "crick" in the neck. It ranged from nuisance type to pretty bad. About a week before July 4th I woke up with a really bad one. I could usually put my arm/neck in certain positions to aleviate the pain, but this one gave no relief. The next AM I woke up with one of the worst pains of my life. I almost had my girlfriend drive me to the hospital. (I have no insurance). Instead my father hooked me up with a family friend who is a chiropractor. He did some stuff to me which didnt really help, but he did mention how he thinks I was getting them from sleeping on my stomach which made perfect sense since thats how Ive always slept. Since then Ive slept on my back & side. Its gotten better, but is stil pretty painful.

Pain in my upper back right under my neck in the middle.
I have almost full ROM in my neck now but when I turn to the right the pain in the middle gets stronger.
A new symptom (maybe I just noticed) is a very tender and painful spot under my left arm pit. Someone told me it could be a trigger spot.
When it first happened I had a lot of weakness in my left arm & hand.
Currently the tips of my left index & middle finger are slightly numb, but some of my strength has returned.

I am seeing the chiropractor again. I may have some extra $ to see a neurologist, but I know I couldnt afford a MRI.

Bad backs run in my family. I had back surgery for a L5-S1 disc in 08. Is it possible I have a herniated disc?

Any advice would be appreciated.

• It sounds like you have some type of nerve root impingement in your cervical spine, but without an MRI, there is no definitive way of knowing. If you are experiencing improvement by not sleeping on your stomach and the strength is returning, I would try to see a physical therapist. Some exercises can reduce the symptoms you are experiencing. If you do not have the money to see a physical therapist, there are some great literature in the bookstore, library or even online that might help. Any nerve injury can take a long time to resolve, so if you see continued improvements that's a good sign.

This is just my personal opinion, but I don't trust chiropractors. Many times they can do more damage. Just proceed with caution. Much luck to you!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Thank you for the much needed advice. I have some family friends in the PT field Ill give it a looksy

Any idea if sleep can cause this? Or atrophy of my discs over time w/ bad genetics
  • Many people say that pillows are important. I was told not to sleep with more than 1 pillow. I own a cervical pillow that allows for back and side sleeping. I'm not a doctor, so don't know much about whether genetics have to do with spine degeneration. I do know that my issues are from childhood injuries from falling out of monkey bars one too many times, followed by my daughter slamming a door in my face. Poor posture, lack of exercise, being overweight, jobs that require lots of heavy lifting or desk jobs sitting in front of a computer are also some causes for degeneration or herniation at an earlier onset. Read some of the articles on this website and you will get to some of your answers.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Hi and welcome as Lili said the best way to tell is with an MRI, X-rays don't show everything. You mentioned you don't have insurance, check with your state because some states offer some type of insurance coverage depending on income. If you decide to get test done and are going to pay you can get an MRI without having X-rays done. I know my dr wanted an MRI done but insurance made him order X-ray first, just remember anything written on this forum is just advice based on personal experiences, only a Doctor can diagnose a medical condition. When I was an EMT and had a patient with an obvious fracture and gave report via radio and in person I could only say a possible fracture. It's the same with nurses they can't tell you anything either because anyone except a doctor can loose their license for giving a diagnosis. Hope you find answers and PM me if I can help. God Bless, Joe
    ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.