Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Herniated Disc

I had spinal fusion 14 years ago. Everything has been good until 2 months ago when I started getting pain in my left shoulder area and upper left arm . I went back to my doctor and he said there was a small hole in the fusion area C6&C7. The pain is getting worse, especially when I am sitting, or raise my left arm. My doctor gave me Vicodin for the pain and it does help one bit at all. Is there anything I could try that you know of. Please advise as the pain is getting worse day by day. Thank you.

• YOu could try a good muscle relaxer along with their are nerve medications such as lyrica and neurotin that might help. It could be the vic's are not strong enough. Also sometimes holding your arms on your head helps, along with ice and heat one placed on the front and the other on the back. If all else fails try a cervical collar for some relief.
  • Agree with Tamtam.

It all depends on what type of pain you are having. Shooting, burning, stabbing....that is usually nerve pain and does well with nerve pain medication. If it is dull, throbbing, aching...that is usually muscle pain and muscle relaxers can be helpful.

An opiate is just an overall pain med that goes to the brain to just "dull" things a little or not make you care as much but it's not really a medicine that targets anything.

Another thing to ask your Dr. about is doing a Medrol dose pack which is a steroid treatment. It's usually around 7 days and you start with 5-6 pills (if I remember), then go down each day until done. It helps if there is inflammation.