Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What is wrong with me!?

Hi there
For about 5-6 years now I've had ongoing problems with my neck & shoulders. At the moment I've been in constant pain for the last 2 months & I don't know where to start.

My neck & shoulders are often very tight & tense and I often pull muscles. It's a strong, persistent sprain & I can wake up with a new area affected in the morning - so, the side of my neck will pull, then along my shoulder, then under my shoulder blade. It takes several days for a pulled muscle to ease, but even when there isn't an identifiable strain, I have a lot of pain in my neck on my left hand side & reduced mobility - I can't turn my head as far to the left as to the right.

The doctors I've seen have been really dismissive and say "everyone has back pain" but this has been consistent for years. Occasionally I get tingling /pins and needles in my arms but I can't tell if I'm imagining a link. More often I get numbness & burning on the "hump" vertebrae just at the bottom of my neck / top of my shoulders. I often feel like I want this area to be relieved somehow, released, but the pain goes all the way up to my skull.

I had an xray 5 years ago after a particularly bad torn muscle (in the same side, left) which was inconclusive "possibly some wear and tear" whatever that means. That was the last time anyone's taken it seriously. I tried my ex boyfriend's flexeril which was just SO wonderful but my GP won't prescribe muscle relaxants. They give me cocodamol which isn't a great painkiller & gives me other complications - slows down bladder function & I'm incredibly prone to kidney infections. I find I wake up withmore pulled muscles on codeine & it doesn't relieve it much.

What should I ask my GP about? Would sleeping in a neck brace help me stop tearing things in my sleep?

• bmbuckleybbmbuckley Posts: 3
    edited 08/04/2012 - 10:25 AM
    Hi there,

It sounds to me like you may have a problem in the lower cervical disk areas, like c5-7. I really suggest you get a cervical MRI to see what your problem is, whether it is a bulging disk, a herniation or something else. I recently had a discectomy to fix a herniation on c6-c7 and some of my symptoms were like yours. I had intense nerve burning down my left arm and of course the term "pinched nerve" came to mind (without actually giving it a thought as to what that was). One of the worst pains was under my scapula, and also at the base of my left latissimus dorsi muscle, under my armpit. I also had lots of preliminary warnings but didn't realize what they were, such as neck pains, knots under the scapula and other aches and such. But your "hump" vertebrae is just where I had my herniation. It has been 4 months since surgery now and I am recovering nicely. Still get some nerve pains from time to time if I lift too much, but the major agonizing pain was relieved immediately.