Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Acdf 6-7

Acdf surgery july 23 feel like a million dollars when up and at em but as soon as i lay down on my back or either side hurts pretty bad! Been onlyb2 weeks, hope it gets better sleeping sucks!

• Jeff,
    Congrats on being on the other side of the surgery. Keep in mind you are still new out of surgery and you will still have some issues, that is to be expected. As well as your doing, I think the sleeping thing will resolve itself soon. Of course if it doesn't be sure to let your surgeon know. Have you tried using a muscle relaxer at night to help?
  • *Side comment...I wish we didn't have to put a subject for every post as I run out of things to put...LOL

It sounds like you are doing really well so that is reason to celebrate!

When it comes to lying down, you need to not only have a pillow that is supportive for your neck and head that is contoured, you need to have other pillows to make your spine stay in complete alignment.

I have a tempurpedic pillow for my head/neck. I have a memory foam, long and skinny pillow that when on my side, it goes from my inner thigh down to my ankle. Then I have a smaller memory foam pillow that goes in between my arms/elbows.

When on my back, I would have a pillow underneath my legs to raise up a bit to have my spine aligned.

And for the entire bed...I have a memory foam 3 inch mattress topper that forms to my body. This helps with overall pain as well as I have bouts of bursitis and this has helped tremedously.

So, the key is always keeping your spine aligned which will not only help in your recovery from surgery, but also to keep your spine healthier from here on out.

I end up switching positions from back, side to side pretty much every hour through the night so I am not in one position too long. This has also helped with pain/pressure.

I've had 3, two-level, cervical fusions with the last one going in from the front of my neck AND my back, so I've learned how to perfect the sleeping!...LOL

I hope things keep going well for you...As Tamtam mentioned...ask your Dr. and/or Pharmacist if you can take a muscle relaxer before bed...Just be VERY careful if you are also taking pain meds, or any type of anti anxiety meds or sleep medicine as all of these together have a cumulative effect so you don't want to accidentally cause an overdose! So just double check things with your Dr. before you change around any medication timing.

I end up taking my muscle relaxer (one 10mg Flexeril), and my last pain meds around 5pm, then my Ambien (just one 10mg....that is a dosage after being on it for 6 years) at 9pm right before bed.

Keep us posted.
  • I haven't had a cervical fusion, although I do have cervical problems.

I had a lumbar fusion just over two years ago, and sleep using pillows either between my legs when on my side, or under my knees when on my back, just like Lovetotravel describes.

I have read lots of post cervical surgery patients say that the can't sleep lying down; sometimes for a couple of months or more. They seem to find sleeping in a recliner more comfortable, and some find using a wedge pillow in bed so that they can recline without actually lying down is more comfortable. I think trying lots of pillows in different positions may reach a position where you are comfortable.

After my fusion I had to keep changing position every hour. I do find that a cervical contoured pillow does help me sleep since my neck has flared up. I am likely to have a 2 level ACDF before long, and I am thinking of getting a wedge pillow to see if that will help.

You are very early out in your recovery and I am sure that things will improve.
    Please do post to share any things you find that help you. I am gathering information and any ideas that make things better, will be gratefully received.

Take care