Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disc Herniation Numbness

SnailySSnaily Posts: 2
edited 08/05/2012 - 8:11 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I wonder if anyone can offer me any wisdom. I was rushed through to surgery pretty quickly (3 weeks after an MRI) after suffering a herniated lumbar disc, which was apparently huge and catastrophic if left. I had been in excruciating pain for 5 months and then my leg went numb, I suffered major weakness in my foot and toes, my foot went bizarre (numb and hyper-sensitive, tingly and weird) and there was aching and cramping and electric shock-like feelings. I was in this state for 4 months before the surgery. It has been a month now since I had surgery and the medical practitioners I spoke to seem so happy that the problem's 'fixed' and not too bothered that my symptoms are exactly the same as they were. I have been told that if there is going to be an improvement it will be in months and years or not at all. Has anyone had a similar experience or does anyone have anything to offer on the subject of recovery. I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks x

• I had a micro discectomy 7 weeks ago and still have the same numbness and burning. The pain is basically gone but I have sensations and flare ups on my good leg now. I was also told it will take a long time for the nerve to heal if it does. I had pain for almost 2 years before the surgery. Maybe the nerve is still inflamed so you haven't noticed an impovement and because the herniation was so big, it really damaged the nerve so it will take longer. Hope this helps and that you start to get better soon. I know it is very fustrating.
  • Thanks for that. I hope that you start to feel better soon too.