Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

It's official... My psych has been evaluated! :-D

It went great. The doctor was really nice. The only questions he asked me is if I watched the video the PM gave me from Boston Scientific and if I understand what an SCS is. Then I took several tests, personality, medical, etc., which had a grand total of almost 1,000 questions, whew. I was taken back around 9 a.m., and left around 11:15ish. My back/neck was on fire from sitting in a chair that long, but the entire procedure was not bad at all.

He came in every so often to see if I had anything done, then he took what I had and graded it as I finished with other stuff. He said he will have it to the PM no later than Tuesday morning, but probably Monday! YAY! :-) I am that much closer to getting my trial! Well... that is if my other personality didn't sneak out while I was testing... That could become a problem. LOL ;-)

• WOW I feel so cheated my psych eval was only 15 mins I filled out three forms with the same Med history and one form on meds being used. On the Med form there was a mistake when printed. First column asked what Med second column asked DAMAGE which should have been dosage. I wasn't happy to have to go through this any way because it is basicly to see if you can handle any objects placed in your body without freaking out. Many many people show up in a ER days after implant screaming to get it taken out so we all get to see a shrink to make sure we are OK with it.
    Doesn't matter that you already have titaniam plates screws and bars that don't bother us.
    OK so psych goes over Med background and compares answers to same questions on three pages and says OK so far.He gets to my meds and and starts to laugh because I wrote down what damage drugs could do and then says no one else has caught that for years and then states there is nothing wrong with me and writes the approval letter. Then he tells me the meaning of my PM doctors name in translation from Hindu to English and tells me to call him by his English name LOL. Less then 20 mins total $345 chaching. And here I was afraid it was all going to be my mohers fault.
    Just got to love it.
  • LOL! If it asked me "If you love your mother" or "If you love your father" one more time, I was gonna scream! :-D Some of those questions were out there. It even asked "Are you lying on this evaluation to pass it?"!!! LOL!

And I was a little confused on the extent of the psych eval considering I do have screws and plates already... but again, I have also heard the stories of people getting them put in, after they've had a trial, and realizing they want it out. If I like it during the trial, then I would think it would be even better after the implant is done and healed. Guess that's just me though. I mean the docs and reps are pretty through about the process, the fact that there's a trial period, an implant, you have to charge it, etc. That's a lot to go thru, plus you actually get a trial (wish like hell I could have gotten a trial fusion!!!!), to realize you can't deal with it. Plus, a week or two out of the implant surgery really isn't enough time to know how thing's will pan out. It is a basically a double surgery... incision in the back for leads/paddles, and then the battery incision. You have to give it a chance, at least until it heals, so you know how well it will work.

Anyhow, now that I've gotten myself off on tangent. I would've had a pretty good laugh reading thru your "Damage" column :-)

Rick, do you already have you SCS implant? Is it for cervical/thoracic/lumbar?

Take care!

• Mel on your other thread I left more info.'Right now I just have a lumbar implant but did the cervical trial
    Just for fun and to see if anybody even reads the paper work I put in side effects for each drug under the damage column. Norco liver Oxy kidney and so on. It was funny at the time but I do not suggest anyone do that because it becomes part of your file. I did this before I applied for disability and can see it being a problem if they came across it during that long drawn out program.
    A couple of thoughts about your trial, set the stimulation to a low setting and then move your neck around some. Depending on how the leads lay the stimulation can change with position changes. Shut it off in the car even as a passenger because pot holes can be shocking. As leads scar in it gets better and better with less position problems.
    My lumbar scs is almost two years old now and I leave it on 24 hrs and only turn it off during pool therapy.
    Did you get a date yet? I hope it helps you, even if it just helps a small amount it can make a big difference. I have met two people that get full relief with no pain meds. One caution after the test they will ask you percent wise how much did it help. Most people will say you have to get at least 50% or better to make it worth it but the truth is that you have to say 50% or better for the insurance to cover it
    Good Luck