Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Continued pain and problems from a second cervical surgery

Terese64TTerese64 Posts: 6
edited 08/09/2012 - 9:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
In March 2009, I had a two level ADR (C5/6 and C6/7) using Pro-Disc C. I went for two other opinions, both from Neurosurgeons, who agreed that I should have the Artificial Discs removed and have a three level fusion from C4-C7. That surgery was done in May of 2011. I seemed to be doing okay and in November I had a CT scan which showed I was still not fused. My doctor said due to the extensive surgery (him having to remove the artificial discs), the fusion could take up to 8 months. (He also used bone from my hip for this surgery)

In April I began getting excruciating pain and when I called his office was told he is on an 'unexplained' medical leave and they are not sure he will be returning. I went to my GP who ordered a CT scan last month which showed there wasn't much change from the November CT scan. So, after 15 months, I'm still not fused. The pain is continually getting worse and I can't take it anymore. I did go to see the Physician's Assistant and both he and the other Neurosurgeon from the practice basically said to give it time and and said that most of these surgeries don't work. (The doctor who did my surgery assured me it would.) I'm very discouraged and saddened to think that I'm going to have to live a life of pain. Does anyone have any suggestions or input? Has or is anyone experiencing the same problem?

• susabellssusabell Posts: 238
    edited 08/09/2012 - 5:10 PM
    I feel so bad for you. How awful to b put
    through all this. Also to find out your
    surgeon is not available to speak him or
    her about your on going pain. Maybe get
    some more opinions? You have been thru
    some major surgery here.

Keep us posted I'm very interested in what
    they have to say other than give it more

Tall Gentle Hugs,

ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 08/10/2012 - 2:51 AM
    I am so sorry that you are in this situation.

Perhaps it is time to get another opinion from a different practice.
    If you are not fused then I expect that something will have to be done about it or the hardware will fail at some point. Either coming loose or breaking.
    Did you have your fusion surgery done from the front?
    I have read of others who needed to have another surgery from the back, but they then go on to fuse.
    3 level fusion is a big surgery, and the more levels that are fused at the same time, the greater the chance that not all levels will fuse. I really feel for you being in this position. I really hope that you will find someone who will be able to help you and sort out your neck to stabilise it.