Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After 9 years I have to find a new PM Dr. no meds left

4 days before my next appt. with Pain Dr. I got a Discharge Letter.... 4 Days!!! They won't even tell me what happened and they won't let me talk to anyone beyond the front desk. To add more bad news, My PCP won't prescribe any narcotics...I had them refer me to a new PM and they STILL won't help me until I go to the new one. What am I supposed to do? Not only am I in serious pain but the withdrawals will be unbearable. This is the 9th of August...my appt. isn't until the 22nd. Why me!!

I have been seeing the same group of Dr.'s for 9 years...and they do this? I used to brag about them to anyone that would listen. When someone would tell me about a horror story with their Dr. I always thought they must have done something... Not anymore!!

Any suggestions???

• I am so sorry to hear what has been done to you. No Doctor can just drop you like that UNLESS you have another Doctor to take over your care. Rhonda...they HAVE to continue treating you until you find another Doctor!!! This is unethichal(sp?) and they can be sued for this kind of action!! Go to their office and let them know that you need to be treated until you find another Doctor. If all else fails, find a Lawyer that deals with medical issues and let hem/her know what has been done to you and let hem/her handle it for you. If a Doctor did that to me I would be on them like ugly on an ape!! You have rights and you have the right to have your chronic pain treated. Demand your rights as a patient!! Go to your states Medical Bord web site and it should tell you what your rights are. Good luck....
    Patsy W
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    The phy. must give you 30 days to find another doctor and he has to treat you for emergency situations until the 30 days are up. At least this is the way it is in Ohio. There was no reason given? He does not have to prescribe your meds by law but it is unethical as Pat says not to do so. The reason should be given on your discharge letter. Were you not compliant with the Dr's orders? I do know with my pain clinic if you have 2 no shows or miss more then 2 physical therapy sessions you will not be given your meds. That is written in the contract. Then you will be dismissed from the practice. I would call the office and tell them that you would like a meeting with the Dr and ask if the Dr would be willing to meet with you. Good luck. Your last resort may be to go to the ER and see if they will help.
  • Unfortunately it depends on the state laws/regulations. But they do not look at opiates as "life saving" medications and they do not fall under the course of action as far as a Dr. abandoning a paitent or having to prescribe for 30 days. Because there are actual addicts out there (obviously not you), that get arrested and put in jail and go off opiates and drugs cold turkey.

Now, you DO have the right to request copies of your medical records. Of course you will have to pay for this as by law they are allowed to charge you. So I would get these immediately so that you can show a new PM that you followed everything perfectly.

Did you have random urine tests or pill counts with this PM? Did you recently take one and perhaps there was an issue that got messed up?

I would get the medical records and then take them with you to the ER if you need to.

*This is a wake up call for all of us that we should get copies of our medical records each year. This way you can always be keeping them up to date and if something ever happens like this, you only need to get a years worth of notes/tests/procedures from the Dr. instead of 9 years worth. And then you have proof of how you have been compliant for those 9 years without failing any tests, pill counts, or doing any Dr. shopping, ER visits, etc.

I am so sorry that this happened:( I hope you can get things sorted out asap.
  • 1ofmanyinpain11ofmanyinpain Posts: 60
    edited 08/10/2012 - 10:58 AM
    Thanks to all for letting me vent. The reason they discharged me was a missed pill count. Me, my son, my mother and a friend went to a water park in Indiana. I live in Nashville, Tn. They said they called but I wasn't here...and I know they didn't call my cell. Here in Tn they don't have to keep treating you or giving you pain meds. What gets me is the timing...they could have let me come in for my appt. in 4 days and give me the scripts...But no, they did it when they knew it would hurt the most. I can't even talk to anyone... I have an appt. with a new PM but its far away, and my PCP won't do any opiates at all...I'm stuck in this position and not looking forward to the next 2 weeks... I'm scared to death...Don't know what to do...
  • I would call and ask them to please verify what number they called and the exact time. Then I would tell them that you can either bring things in to show them or you are going to send them a certified letter with proof if they could please just look these things over and then make their decision afterwards.

Then, I would send a letter that is certified with a copy of your cell phone records as well as home phone records if you have one showing that they did not call.

You can also include copies of credit card receipts for the water park, food and/or gas from your trip to Indiana.

I would think that after being a model patient for 9 years, barring you truly didn't have any other issues with refilling early, urine tests, or pill counts.

I would certainly be trying this.

How about a copy of your contract? Does it say that they have to give you x amount of days to come in for a pill count? I would follow through with all the proof that I mentioned. It is easy to get copies (online to print out) of your cell and home phone records.

The key is not trying to call them liars about calling but say that there must be some misunderstanding and that you have your phone records and there is not a missed call from them and you can bring it in to prove.

So....call again first. If that doesn't work...bring in the proof and drop off as well as send to the Dr. with HIS name on the envelope stating URGENT.

I just think that if you can get to someone that knows you there which I would think after 9 years you would know quite a few of them by name to at least let you prove yourself.