Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain when standing

I am 53, and have lived with low and mid back pain for almost 30 years now, in Nova Scotia, Canada.
I have a tilted pelvis from an accident at 5 years old, mild scoliosis, oseoporosis, artritis, wedging of my vertabrae, just to name a few.
I have still managed to lead a physically active life up to 8 years ago, but slowly had to stop many activities.
About three years ago, my back was so painful that a 1 litre jug of milk from the fridge was too heavy.
My doctor sent me to an endocrynologist, which was no help at all, and to pysiotherapy.
Pysio sent me home with a rubber band to do exercises for two weeks. I was to call them at the end of two weeks and report.
When I told them there was no improvement, the pysiotherapist told me that I should be better, and not worse. So I informed her that it took me almost thirty years to get this bad, it wasn't going away with two weeks of therapy!
I never heard from her again. A year later, I pushed my Dr. into sending me for a MRI, which showed I had three bulging disks, even though he had previously told me that in x-rays my discs were fine. He set up a new appointment with pysio, which will probably come about in another year.
My biggest problem is standing. If I stand in one spot for five minutes, I'm in low back pain, and the pain doubles every five minutes. I recently had to stand for a long period of time, and was in so much pain, I could barely walk.
I went to my Dr., he said my sciatic nerve was inflamed, ( I had almost no reflexes in my right leg), so he injected a cortisone shot,(about my 25th), in my sciatic nerve. It took almost a month, just to get back to my version of normal, (unable to work, but not suffering too much). Sometimes it happens to the right side, sometimes the left, and it will definitly happen if I lift anything over 20 lbs.
Any suggestions or ideas out there?

• Hi Rick. Sounds like your back is sending you down the long road. I cant comment much on most of your problems, just the herniated disc.

Although I had back pain first, it was when I started getting a shooting pain down my leg when standing for long periods of time that my current road began.

I tried treating it with chiropractic for about a year, it was a slowly worsening problem and eventually was referred to a pain management dr. Had a CT scan that showed herniation at L5S1.

Over the past 8 mo I have had 3 epidural injections to the nerve site, each one helping less.
    Next step was the MRI, which showed a possible worsening and hardening of the herniation.
    Now I am nervously looking forward to a microdiscetomy.

Your standing problem sounds just like me, mine has evolved to sitting and now laying down gives no relief either. Having a real hard time sleeping, worsening almost everyday. I am currently 17 days away from surgery and it cant happen fast enough.

If you have 3 bulging discs they are likely to eventually compress nerves. When I am standing the bulge must be hitting that nerve like a battering ram. Another diff is I only have pain on the left, your dual sided pain may point to multidirectional herniation or multiple compressed nerves.

The only possible suggestion is this: find a doctor who is willing to understand your lifestyle, history, and pain. but mostly find a dr who you trust, because they are the only ones who can really help. Everyone is different, they say some herniations can heal on their own or with the help of steriods & PT. That didnt work for me.

Good Luck to you & please post udates!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!