Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi I'm new.. questions about c5,6,7 issues

cwren58ccwren58 Posts: 1
edited 08/19/2012 - 3:05 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi there folks, I've been reading and seeing what I could find. I have had degenerative discs in neck and other parts of my spine--not sure to what extent lower down. I've had MRI a couple years ago and nerve tests to rule out carpal tunnel because I had so many problems with my hands/arms. It was determined my issues were from my neck not carpal tunnel. I've done 2 rounds of PT and traction and currently take celebrex for pain. Lately I have had further issues, my hands/arms/elbows/shoulders/neck & upper back all have symptoms and now I am 'sometimes' experiencing a wobbly gait, and suddenly about 2 mos ago began to experience trouble with my sit bones area and back & top of thighs. I have a new dr cuz we moved--primary sent me to a rheumatologist. The topic of fibromyalgia is in play as well autoimmune--I've had blood work and xrays to see about ruling out various things and am also having a new nerve conduction test --but only one side-- my upper left. I'm confused that they aren't testing more as I have symptoms on both sides. I have experienced middle of the night strong shocky jolts down my legs, numbness in hands/arms and feet--sometimes on a whole side. Sweats, and generally a lot of soreness and feelings of weakness in my arms especially if I try to do anything much with my hands. I've also had a lot of stiffness although the celebrex seems to help with that a lot.

My exam showed some weakness on my left side. so I guess that will be why they are looking at that only--the idea is to see if neck surgery might help me--as the dr told me its '50/50' if it is helpful.

I believe we are talking probably a laminectomy? or something like that-- they go in the back of neck and clean up around nerves?
that's my understanding but haven't discussed it much yet. Still waiting for things to be ruled out.

My Question-- Has anyone ever been told they have fibromyalgia & later found that most of their symptoms were consistent with degenerative disc problems? Also can you have symptoms sort of come & go? I had balance/wobbly issues that seem to be a bit better currently-- will that come back? Is exercise enough to 'cure that' ? cuz I have my doubts. (been doing aquatic exercise classes) I 'feel' unstable/ frail --in my spine-- do you feel that? it makes me apprehensive and I find my hands so clumsy--especially in morning-- that I have to 'think hard' on my actions in my morning routine & can't just quickly do things like I used to.

Does this sort of thing sound like its from cervical spine? and what would likely cause hamstrin/sitbone symptoms? a lower disc?

Kind of concerned, my mom had pretty bad spine issues, she shrunk a lot and became very disabled before she died.

It seems I have perhaps got much of the same problems.

sorry this is so much--i have not talked to anyone who knows about this stuff and am wondering about a lot.