Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help! have ADR and need MRI???

Hello Everyone,

Haven't been here in awhile. Just go home from the pain clinic and need some advice. It was my first visit to the clinic so we went over my back history. She said that we need to have an updated MRI because the last one was done back in 2007 before surgery. Hello I have an artificial disc and fusion, metal, MRI are you crazy! I'm terrified and she really couldn't shed much light on the subject except that they'll use some kind of dye? Help!!! Can anyone shed light on this subject? How is the dye injected? Arm? Needle in back like the Discography test? Has anyone had an MRI with hardware in your back?

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    edited 08/20/2012 - 10:56 PM
    I have rods, plates and screws in my cervical spine. I get mris about every 6 months. From what I was told if your metal was placed in your body after a certain date a mri is safe but for the life of me I can remember the date. As for the dye they inject it into your arm, there is no pain involved.
  • and the metal use in ADR/FUSIONS is safe for MRI as its made from titanium and contact NO ferrous components [like iron and steel] .many consultant use CT rather then MRI because even thought there's no steel in ADR/FUSION they can cause blurring on the film .if the patient is not laying still in the scanner .....{.even my gold wedding ring caused distortion .when i had my last MRI i could feel the magnetism around my finger and my wedding ring is 22 crt.so very pure} ..but as far as i know the materials used in UK implants are MRI safe .the contrast dye is injected in your arm IV or back of your hand ,the only side effect may be that you get a little warm .but with in a few hours its metabolised and your back to normal
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
This discussion has been closed.