Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Counting the days till surgery

Hi everyone, I have a few other posts up so if you are interested in the long story, check those.

I am having a L5S1 microdiscectomy sept 6th, and I cannot wait.

My pain worsens almost every day, I have a hard time sleeping. Thankfully I can still work, but Im worthless. Pretty much wothless around the house too. Im 32 and otherwise healthy. I just wanna get back to normal life!!!

Im stressin about the recovery, Im stressin about quitting smoking, Im stressin about money, Im stressin EVERYTHING.

I have many lofty goals for after surgery, but I cant do anything about them until weeks after.

At least I have this forum to vent though, believe it or not I am staying positive although impatient!!!
L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!

• Ben,

I wish you all the luck! My husband had a microdiscectomy at the same levels 22 years ago when he was thirty. Before the surgery he was lying on the floor as much as possible. He was in so much pain that I felt sorry for him when I was in labor for our first child and wound up driving home from the hospital. He felt a lot of relief immediately and after his recovery and PT he did well. He has not had any further back surgeries (or surgeries of any sort). He knows when his toes start to get numb and then he starts to get pain in his leg he needs to concentrate on his back exercises. I hope you do at least as well.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • RTgirl2011RRTgirl2011 Posts: 512
    edited 08/20/2012 - 8:07 PM
    I know how you feel when it comes to stressing out. I have already had three surgeries on my lumbar spine this year. Two fusions and a staph infection washout. I may be facing a third fusion, I will find out on Wednesday. When it comes to stressing out, I am right up there with you. I was fired from my job because I was not able to come back in four weeks like they wanted, due to the staph infection. I'm 32 and I can't even clean my own house. Some days I feel like the most useless person on the planet. I'm in horrible pain and nobody around me understands.

That being said, I too, do my best to stay positive. I'm sorry I can't help out with giving more info about the recovery process, both of my discectomies were open back surgeries. I can tell you I felt relief immediately, while waking up in the recovery room. I do wish you well with your surgery and I hope you achieve your goals afterwards. Your surgery date will be here before you know it.

Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • I really appreciate your well wishes & support.

Karen, I can only hope I do as well as your your husbands case.

And Jennifer, I cant even imagine things being worse than they are. It sounds like your case is much more severe than mine, I hope everything goes well for you too. Good Luck.

Thanks to you both!!!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • ben_indianabben_indiana Posts: 288
    edited 08/30/2012 - 5:47 AM
    Well, I had my pre-op appt yeaterday. It went really well, they are planning my MicroD as an outpatient procedure. Early morning surgery.

The surgeon & his nurse were very optimistic that a 2 week recovery time is attainable. I got a 2 week follow up, and if things are going well, I will get release for a light-duty return to work & a PT order. I really hope that this is the case. They say my age, 32, and body & good general health 6'1", 195 lbs, should set me up for a good recovery!

I have been trying, and doing OK, to stay positive. This helped even more!

Thanks all for the support, Ill update soon! 1 week away!!