Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please .... Learn what a paragraph is and use them!!

MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
edited 08/24/2012 - 6:18 PM in New Member Introductions
Hey folks,

There are a number of new members here which is great BUT ....
Please learn what a paragraph is and start using them!??

It is rather difficult to read run on sentences (which I confess I am guilty of),
but run on paragraphs or no paragraphs at all?? Yikes!

English 101 would encourage us to break our thoughts and issues into distinct paragraphs
for the benefit of the reader and the clear and concise relaying of the desired shared information.

When I see a new post that is one ongoing run on paragraph - I am leery to even begin to read it as they
have a tendency to be a hodge podge of history, diagnostics, personal comments, family issues, etc.

If you value the information that you are presenting, you may want to present it in a more readable fashion.

Not looking for perfection - just progress! Teachers please jump in!!

Just a suggestion - other opinions welcome!

Spine-health Moderator
Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Metalneck:

I totally agree with your comments. Sadly, this is very common in the U.S. today. I am an adjunct teacher at a University and I require students to write as a component of the class. It has been my experience that perhaps 10% of them can do so. The others are in dire need of assistance. These are individuals who are in there 3rd/4th year of college!

Composition is not the subject matter of my class, yet I must devote much time and energy in assisting them in improving that skill. I ask myself where they missed out or where the educational system failed? In my opinion, technology (email and moreso texting) has slaughtered their ability to compose. They can communicate - just not compose.

To quote Bob Dylan..."the times they are a'changing"...

• I failed to proofread my last post. Afterwards I realized that I mispelled a word. I have been humbled!

Where's Waldo? See if you can find it.

• I will just not post anything in your thought line, as to not upset your intelligence, as I know I will not ever come up to your level,,,,,, and If I post anything please disregard, as to not be brought down to a ignorant persons thoughts
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    edited 08/25/2012 - 4:59 AM
    or have it turn into a peeing match, just a general observation and request.
    I would like to say that the name calling wins you the bonus prize! (But then I'd be personalizing).

Spine-health Moderator

• starsinhereyessstarsinhereyes Posts: 583
    edited 08/25/2012 - 7:36 AM
    of doing this so many times. And I don't like to read the one book paragraphs.
    Good point David :)
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    edited 08/25/2012 - 8:36 AM
    I blame it on my medication(s) - not lack of education!!

Or maybe I'm just too lazy to hit return!(the enter key).

Spine-health Moderator

• hamrs_62hhamrs_62 Posts: 38
    edited 08/25/2012 - 12:21 PM
    most don't think of punctuation, when trying to explain their pain or frustration with what they are going through, were just usually so into what we feel that the fastest way to communicate symptoms or thoughts at the time, proper paragraphs or punctuation are not first and foremost on what little brain we have left, All I am saying if I or someone is posting sub par then skip over at least those people who are sub par at posting their thoughts, like mine, because I don't always think I am going to be schooled on my posts, in other words, most of the time I don't care as long as I get my point across, besides I may not be as educated as most, just saying,
  • kamgramkkamgram Posts: 483
    edited 08/25/2012 - 2:48 PM
    Wow, totally not nice;(
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    edited 08/26/2012 - 1:54 PM
    This thread was made to help other members compose threads/posts so that more people will be able to read them and respond.

We have made this same appeal several times before. I know I have made a point about this. When ever you see a thread/post that goes on and on and on without a break in a paragraph, many people will NOT read it. Now, we are saying this based on years of experience here and knowing the member community.

Dave was NOT trying to put anyone down or say that anyone needs to compose perfect threads/posts. Heck, here, spelling and grammar are not always that important. Its the message that is very important.

However, I do disagree with the statement about Posts and Pain. For the most part, members who are here are in Pain, so that is a given that we can all understand. But people in pain, also know how to express themselves. If they didnt, then they would have a very tough time discussing problems with their doctors.

What I have seen here, is some members talking about their pain levels at 10 every minute of the day, they can not do anything for themselves, cant cook, cant drive, cant clean, etc. But on the same token, they are spending 6 or more hours a day on the computer! Computer usage is one clear cut situation that will impact spinal patients.

All that was being said with this thread is giving members a tip on how to make their threads/posts easier for others to read.
    Thats it... nothing more, nothing less. I think Dave did a fine job in making this thread

My apologies to Dave... If I didnt already know this was Dave, but called him Gary here....Sorry Dave
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • By no means is he belittling anybody but making a valid point. Absolutely I'm as guilty as the next having run on sentence/paragraphs as its very hard to not let our emotions get caught up in our posts. When we try to explain to our peers or mods for help or advice about our issues on SH, a key word or thought will transition the direction of the post. Then we get away from the original point or question that was trying to be made and it at a glance looks garbled and reads garbled too.

It's at these transitions that when a new paragraph isnt started, it just loses the interest of the readers who may be able to help. Also as Metalneck mentioned it just looks better and a simple courtesy to all.

So I agree its a "if possible, or if you remember to thing" to throw some line breaks in when you think to. I'm horrible at grammar!

I just agree that it's not asking much to make an effort....
    Weight room accident at 18. Had compression fracture and was paralyzed for month until ruptured spinal column healed. At 37 did all the epidurals/blocks. At 38 had two level open lami and Discectomy. At 39 (Sept 2012) had two level ALIF L4-S1 fusion.
  • Rant On:) I am another one who agrees

I will not read a post if I see that it just goes on and on. Whenever I've said something to the poster about it all I have ever gotten back was a snotty reply so I don't bother to read those type of posts any more.

Why come here and ask for help and then get snotty when someone asks you to break the continuing paragraph apart. I don't have time for it if you don't have time to proof read and put it into paragraph form and have it make some form of sense.

People that will not correct or make some effort to make a complete sentenace or put into paragraph form should not get replies. Yes, it is my opinion that grammar and punctuation should be used. I don't know if people are just lazy, which is what I feel it is, or really and truely don't know better but some effort should be made to make the post at least readable.

Notice I have not said anything about spelling, which is a whole different topic/issue and one that we are all guilty of.

Rant off:)