Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Unbearable pain, Blood pressure 196 worrying me

Hello my name is Alex,

I have been in chronic pain since a severe accident in jan of 2006, mostly back pain from fractured vertebra. The pain was bad and obviously has gotten worse over time. But back in Dec of 2011 i fell onto my back from a significant high (maybe 8ft).
Since then my pain has gotten significantly worse, i have been to numerous doctors, the emergence room 2-3 times between jan 2012 and july 2012. Also been to my primary doc, and 2-3 immediate care facilities. the pain since Dec has been unbearable and i cant seem to get help for it, always get told by every doctor and ER that i need to go to pain management. which i know... But for whatever reason the doctors where i live will not see me, like refuse to.

Anyways... So this past saturday night i had to make a 3rd trip to the hospital in a week. The first hospital near my home had told me before it was muscle strains or w.e. So this past monday i went in and after lots of online research i concluded that i fractured at least one vertebrae in my spine. So i walked in told them "i need help, i think my back is broken and has been for 8 months. And i no longer have insurance I lost it at the end of july". So they took me back after a while and drug their feet. Got an xray and the doc comes back and says "yes you have a mild compression fracture at t-11, there could be more higher up we would need more xrays". said no to more x rays, doc gave me flexeril, percocet, and some people i could call that might be able to help me. Spent the next two days calling, going places, and getting nowhere. So that friday i had to go back to the emergency room, told them i have been trying everything i can to get help for a long time. now that i know what is wrong, i dont have insurance and i cant get help. Told them i finally got someone to pay out of pocket for an ortho appt.

This is when it starts gettin real interesting. This woman comes into my room on that friday, not dressed like a doc or anything seemed more like an administrative person. Told me in a real nasty tone "we are not pain management you need to get to a pain management doctor, we will not write you any narcotic pain meds if you come back in." Made me sign a paper saying if came back i understand they wont help me. Also told me that the doctor that looked at my xray the previous monday i was there was working that friday when i was there. She said "Me and the doctor you saw that night looked over your xray, it is not fractured it just kind of sorta looks like it" and that it looks seperated on the xray but it is healed up find and is not broken or anythings. So they were total A$$es.

This past saturday i started to get a new thing happenening... I couldnt hold my head up straight, and at one point i started getting the oddest feeling down my back when i would try to hold my head straight up. THen once the pain started it intensified to the point i had to run to bed lay down, and begin scream uncontrollably in pain. It happened again later in the night but was much worse it seemed, Lasted for 3-5 minutes of screaming. Follewed by the pain not subsiding but became more painful to scream then just bear it. My girl took me to the hospital, this time a hospital about a half hour away from our town of frederick, md to a hospital in germantown, md. I got there was still in excruciating pain, once they got me back they did the normal took my blood pressure ext. For a while i was in fetal position shaking, sweating, and moaning in pain. The doctor came back gave me 5mg valium, and a full vial of morphine. took my blood pressure again and it was at about 146 still. I asked what it was before they did anything for the pain, they told me it was 196. I dont remember the other numbers though. Also prior to heading to the ER that night i had gotten 2 percocet from my mom. they did kick in before i got to the hospital. But they didnt make any kind of difference in the pain.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this????
This is really starting to scare me, especially considering how hard it is for me to get any help without insurance. = /

Any feedback is greatly appriciated

• BlackSwanBBlackSwan Posts: 9
    edited 09/07/2012 - 8:25 PM
    It is quite normal for blood pressure to go up in response to pain and fear. Most people are like this. You need to get treatment and pain management. Try ice, heat, spa bath, rest, stretches, physio, and also pain meds as needed.