Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discogram/ what to expect I am scared

Hello everyone, My name is Michelle, I havent been on here in a while I was wondering if anyone has had a discogram I am scheduled to have one on wednesday on L4 L5 S1. I am scared to death of how much more pain i will be in especially afterwords. I have already been in bed since Friday from a bad flare up again!

• i had one done almost a year ago, it is supposed to bring on more pain, so everything confirms with your mri to pinpoint which disc or for sure herniated, mine did not hurt, that much, i have a bulging disc l4,l5 and a herniated l5,si. it for me was no where neasr as painful as a nerve conduction test
  • Well I had the discogram done yesterday, it hurt like hell, but the Dr already knew without having to look at the catscan that I have three bad discs not two, and that I have 2 annular tears, only one showed up on mri. I have 2 herneated discs and a bulging one which we alrady knew. Excuse my spelling as I am in alot of pain andam preety drugged up. I go back and see my Dr next week, we have been discussing having an Idet done but will knowmore on wenesday
  • meg101mmeg101 Posts: 31
    edited 09/02/2012 - 3:09 PM
    I had one this year, I'm going to be honest it makes the pain a little worse, and My L4/5 which is the one he did, ended up having a annular tear and I had to have a fusion. But everyones different did your doctor say why he wanted to do the discogram?

Don't worry you will be okay!
    I'm 24 years old, I have had back problems since I was 17...

June 6th 2012 (I was 20 years old) On my L4/5 I got a Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF) with 4 pedicle screws, 2 rods, and 2 cages.
  • i have had one done before my ALIF and i will be honest with you it hurt like hell so much so i swore at the consultant .it was like being stabbed but the pain went as fast as it came .ASK FOR SEDATION .then you wont remember the procedure .and ice your back once you get home and take you pain killers .if you feel ill after the procedure then seek medical advice as there can be serious complication with discographies .good luck
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I had one this past Tuesday and it hurt. I have never been in so much pain. Afterwards they gave me a some demorol, something in my IV, and told me to take a lortab and I was still crying. It's now Friday and I finally feel the same as I did before the procedure, which is to say of course I still hurt but not nearly as bad. I found laying the the floor to help the most.

Single level L5/S1 360 fusion with 6 screws and a rod (10/29/12)
    Diagnosis: Grade 1-2 spondylolithesis, Pars Defect, L5/S1 disc tear anterior and posterior, DDD, spinal stenosis
  • finzzzupffinzzzup Posts: 23
    edited 09/14/2012 - 4:36 PM
    I had one a year ago and must say it was the single most painful experience of my life, so far. I knew I would be awake the entire procedure (this doc does not put you under for needle placement) and unfortunately I was not told the needles would be inserted from the side... 5 of them! I tested 3 ruptured and 2 herniated discs and in the end the pain was so intense, I passed out on the table! I followed that one up with a lumbar fusion which I awakened partially paralyzed on my right side. I figure with my luck, I need to stay away from operating rooms if at all possible after those experiences!

I pray you get some pain relief soon.
  • A discogram and was horrified and scared out of my wits because of everything I was reading. I can tell you I remember getting on the table, getting positioned and then that is ALL I remember. My husband said the doc came to see me afterwards to tell me what she found, explained the surgery I would need, I asked questions.....and I remember NONE OF THAT! I had to get a CT scan after that and I'm pretty sure I fell asleep during it. I came home around 4:30 pm and slept through the night until 6 Am. And yes, pain...the pain I have most days in my low back, buttocks and legs only multiply x 3. That added pain lasted about 3 days and finally tapered to my normal. I didn't do much except take pain meds and sleep and drank lots of water to flush the dye out whenever I was awake.

I know I was given anesthesia in my IV, but the doc told my husband I answered well and my disco was positive for 3 concordant disc. The 4 th she couldn't get the needle in.

My only recommendation is that you only get this with anesthesia. It really was a breeze for me and even the next few days after were not as bad as some people have experienced.

I will say that my pain has been pretty constant since the disco where before I could have a good day or two.
    Good Luck to you

• it sounds like you were given a GA instead of sedation .you were lucky ..i know here in the uk they only give a very light sedation because they need the patient to be fully alert like i said it hurt like fxxx.and i tell all know in the operating theater by swearing my head of ..at that point i was hoping that the consultant would send a large amount of medalazam and morphine and let me sleep it off but he did not .! i was 100% awake all through it and remembered it all .{that's not what i thought i agreed too} when i said yes to the discography ..i was angry for months with my consultant because he told me that he would do the discography as he like to ensure continuity and TRUST in his patients !! that's why an anaesthetist did not do it...anyway for me its all over now ..thank god !!{the discography and ALIF THAT IS ]
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I had 3 disc done a few years ago and didn't find it painful at all. I was given sedation for the placement of the needles and was awoken for the medicine placement and then put out again. I didn't end up with disc issues so that may be why it wasn't really painfull. Now a mylogram lets not go there.

It isn't going to help you to fret over it as it needs to be done and worrying over it won't help at all.
This discussion has been closed.