Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi Everyone -- How has Pain Changed You

Hi Everyone, My name is David. I am 20 years old. I have 5 herniated discs in my back, 4 herniated discs in my neck, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Advanced Spondylosis, All of which are in both My Neck, and My Back.

My hips come out of alignment, Narrowing of my left Knee, and arthritis in my neck.

I have been having upper - mid back pain, around my shoulder blade area, I went for an MRI, and I will know on Thursday what is wrong with my mid - upper back.

It's not like I have enough wrong with me, we need to add something else to it to right?

I have had this for over 1 1/2 years that I know about, and it has really been bothering me for over the last year.

How has pain changed you?

I deal with my pain besides with medication But my only real outlet is being sarcastic.

Pain has made me less tolerable I get mad easier at a lot of things / people.

I have pain 24/7. If I get 3-4 hours of sleep on a regular night, it's a lot.

I am receiving disability, I can't work, I have several doctors tell me all the time I can't work

I walk with a limp because of the pain and everything.

Sorry not trying to ramble or anything just need to vent.

I don't know how I got this. My doctors have told me that I must have inherited it from my Dad. My Dad has the same things just worse.

• narcimetamorphonnarcimetamorpho Posts: 16
    edited 08/29/2012 - 10:47 AM
    I'm very sorry for the situation that you're in, but its good to know I'm not alone. I'm 22 and have been dealing with chronic back pain (L5-S1) for nearly ten years now. It can certainly be hard to relate to people our age when chronic pain is so rare in our age group. So when you say you revert to sarcasm as an outlet I COMPLETELY understand. Its hard not to get a little sarcastic when you're so worn down from being in pain 24/7.

As for your question... Pain has changed me in many ways. I lost out on a lot of opportunities to just be a kid and and do normal kid things, like go to an amusement park, play sports, or even go to the movies without being in pain. And still today not being able to do the things I should be able to do, its endlessly frustrating.

I think the most profound change that pain has had on me is in my relationships with people. It sounds bad but after a certain point you end up losing trust in people. Because no matter how hard they try to understand, they'll never truly understand. And no matter how optimistic and cheery I try to be, there have been many people in my life that have given up on a relationship (friend or otherwise) because the limitations became too much for them. With that said though, there ARE some pretty amazing people out there who can see past the pain and see the person, and who are always willing to help out. I'm thankful for them everyday.
    23 years old, female, back problems began at age 13.

Herniated disc at L5-S1. Microdiscectomy in '05, fusion in '07. No relief found other than the daily tramadol.

New: neck pain with radiating tingling/pain down both arms into hands.
  • charryccharry Posts: 5,657
    edited 08/29/2012 - 11:02 AM
    I find it helpful to watch youtube videos and include comedy in my day as well as follow science fiction space channel as my interests as well as post here and another site I go to. I take an anti-depressant as it helps with nerve pain as well as helps my overall outlook. I do find myself less compassionate towards others than I once was. I hope you can find a Dr. to better manage your pain levels and somehow hope your back gets better on its own or surgery down the line. I had a herniated disc at L5-S1 that healed on its own but know they won't happen for everyone.

Have you tried aquatherapy yet in a heated pool yet. Just contact your community pools or ask your Physiotherapist to see if there's a place you can go and get some relief while in the water.

Maybe a Pain Management group can help you manage some daily issues and goals you have that are attainable with your condition. Its tough at any age to have chronic pain but think its hard when you're younger. You're not alone.

Sometimes you just have to find coping methods that will help you get by daily. There's no easy answers but I'm hoping your condition will improve. Find a good Dr. that will work with you. I found going to a Physiatrist(rehab Dr.) helpful for a time. Take care and see you around here. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Squier1SSquier1 Posts: 6
    edited 08/31/2012 - 8:43 PM
    Having Chronic pain is miserable, but having it when you are younger is even worse.

I have had pain for about 10 years, but it wasn't as severe as it is now, so we never pursued looking into it.

Almost everything you wrote sounds like me, and how I would write it.

I haven't tried aquatherapy.

I was taking Cymbalta, but all it really did was make me even more tired then I already am.

I have tried anti depressants in the past, and they either didn't help, or they made me really tired.

I will look on youtube for some clips that I like.

Thanks Everyone, and hope we talk again soon.
  • by bob in the forest{a spine health member] i think you will enjoy it it called where am i now and i did i get here .also read ,,a letter to a normals... and the spoons theory,,you should find the spoons theory and a letter to a normals on spine health if not google them .they make good reading
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • jane121jjane121 Posts: 1
    edited 09/09/2012 - 5:44 PM
    I have had pain for five years and its a real nuisance.
    It makes it hard to do anything. Even doing things mentally becomes a challenge as the mind
    is always on the pain.