Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Regular infections like colds, etc. worsen pain?

I have a compressed degenerating disc between c5/c6: this causes radiculopathy & neuropathy.

I'm healing slowly with conservative treatment.

Since my initial flare up last March, I've had strep--in mid-May--and an upper-respiratory-tract infection--this week.

Those infections make the neuropathy unbearable.

Does anybody else experience that, too?

Why do normal infections worsen the neuropathy?
38 yo F
Spinal fusion w/instrumentation c5-c7 05/03/13

• I would think part of the reason the infections make it worse is your sick and more likely to spend more time laying down, and not as active. Also when you feel bad it is easier to feel all the pain your body is in, as your focused more on how you feel. But there is no doubt you feel it more when your ill, it is just set backs in general, as your body is weaker. Hopefully, it didn't set you back to much and you were back on track in no time.
  • LovetrotravelLLovetrotravel Posts: 296
    edited 09/02/2012 - 6:15 AM
    Absolutely agree with Tamtam...When we already have one or more things that our body is focused on with pain...then any addition to not feeling well will seem magnified.

As mentioned...when you are more inactive...this will make your body more stiff and sore.

Try to do even the lightest of exercises like walking and stretching/yoga. As well as I hope you don't smoke...for the obvious health reasons...but this is also known to cause more respiratory illnesses as well as now proven to cause dehydration of the discs in our spine.

Another way to combat illness and help them from occurring is to eat healthy and maintain a good weight, exercise daily, get the proper sleep, and lessen stress. Lack of any of these will weaken the immune system.

Even adding supplements to your diet is helpful. But getting a baseline bloodtest is always advised to not have too much of something.

Sleep is one of the more critical things that many people take for granted. It needs to be a cool enviroment (68 or less), making sure there are absolutely no lights flickering.. like that of the computer or phone. Turn the tv off at least an hour before going to sleep. Make sure that you do not eat late at night or have any caffeine. And then try to go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day of the week. Studies now show how lack of sleep is the cause of so many illnesses as well as how it can add to others.

I switched to eating all organic over 2 years ago. Since then...I haven't gotten a single cold or virus. I am not a vegan or vegetarian...but I do eat meat/fish/chicken in moderation. I also limit sugars and only eat complex carbohydrates.

I walk 1.2 miles, 7 days a week. It's not very far...but along with aqua therapy and yoga/stretching it helps a lot.

Anyway....those are some thoughts/suggestions on how to keep from getting these infections to begin with....And one of the most important....Washing hands frequently and not touching your face.

I hope that you recover quickly from this latest infection....
  • i dont know why but i know that i felt very low as i was going down with this latest ear infection and i dont often feel that low, i am hoping that i dont get too many more!! Tina ann