Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi all,

My PM is putting me on 20 mg Oxycontin x2 daily so that I'm not always going through the ups and downs of taking 2 - 3, 7.5 Percocets a day. Hopefully, the extended release of Oxy will keep that from happening.

What I'm wondering is how tired does the 20mg Oxy make a person on average? I know people react differently to meds, but I am curious as to how tired I may be or any kind of goofy side effect I may have.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2

• Since the Dr. is more than doubling your oxycodone intake for a 24 hour period....you may find that you are fatigued some. It all depends on how you react to that dosage.

Have the Percocets ever made you tired? Many times people have the opposite effect and get a bit of an energy boost from opiates...and yes...a bit "loopy" if it's a large jump in dosage which yours is.

The good part is that now your pain levels should go down a lot more with this large increase....and having it be a long acting medication....after a week or two, any side effects should settle down.

I would just be very careful and not drive for at least a week or two until you get adjusted to the new dosage..

Good luck! Keep us posted..
  • EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 916
    edited 09/02/2012 - 8:39 AM
    Appreciate the info! Percocet does make me a little drowsy, but nothing a can't work through. I'd love a little boost of energy! I can't tell you the last time I got a good night's sleep so maybe a boost will make me feel better.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    edited 09/02/2012 - 3:59 PM
    dosages of Oxycontin.
    At one time, it was 30mg 3x daywith Oxycodone IR for breakthrough. During my worst period of time, we finally got the Oxycontin down to 10 mg 2x a day and finally 1 10mg 1x aday to the ultimate of 1 10mg per week. Keep in mind, during that time, I still needed the Oxycodone IR 5mt for breakthrough.

Now, 5 years later, I am still on the Oxycodone IR 5mg to manage my pain.

For myself, I never got a feeling of being tired or of being not in complete control while I was taking Oxycontin.
    I always felt ok, but that did manage my pain levels. As my doctor has always said, your body knows how much
    medication it needs to feel ok
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 118
    Your comment that we all respond differently is my experience too. Initially, oxycontin made me a little high and a little tired but I became accustomed to the drug to the point that it did not effect me any more than an ibuprofen or an aspirin. Also, the effects of the dose is probably different based upon your size too meaning if you are bigger it probably has less affect. The biggest factor for me was taking it for a couple of years and it no longer provides me with any relief so I've switched to other drugs. I hope your increased dose gives you the comfort you need and allows you to sleep better. Jerome
  • My biggest thing right now is maintaining the ability to work. I'm not sure how my boss is going to deal with me taking the medication.

• kamgramkkamgram Posts: 483
    edited 09/03/2012 - 4:39 PM
    Hi Keith, I also was worried about working while taking Nucynta. I am a medical assistant and work directly with a doctor. I assist with minor surgeries, give vaccines and call in precriptions to pharmacies as well as other procedures I do on my own. When I was put on Nucynta in Feb. of this yr. for thoracic herniation and when I spoke with supervisor she let me know that I could not work doing my job while on narcotics. I was pulled from my job and put on phones scheduling and medical records which I did not like but at least I was working and since it was not workers comp. they did not have to let me work but did. I had discectomy on T7-8 on May24 and had no relief from pain and was terminated after 6 weeks leave:( I have a job if I can go back but doesn't look like I will be. I hope you are able to continue to work but being in medical field makes it a sticky situation.

• That's what I'm afraid of at the moment. Since my issues started as a result of an injury on the job, I believe if they say I can't work in the field anymore that I would have to begin the disability path. I'm not ready for that given I'm only 46 yrs old and have a decent salary. I would essentially loose almost 3/4 of my monthly income if I have to take disability.

This whole situation just plain sucks.

• Yeah, I loved my job but since we only have 42 employees we don't have FMLA and after 6 weeks I got my termanation letter in the mail:( Since you got hurt at work it looks like they would find you something to do unless you and they know that this is going to be a long term thing. I can understand their side because you have people who depend on your decisions sometimes life or death. I hope you are able to keep your job. Please keep in touch.

• In a way, the system is designed for a person to fail. Doctor's do what they can so you can live realtively pain free, but once they give you medicine that MAY alter your abilities, your out. It's illegal to drive medicated, professional liability insurance won't cover you for Errors and Ommissions, but you are expected to keep working to stay off disability. There are pro's and con's to each argument not to mention the social stigma when co-workers find out your on pain medicine (which they will).

I've got an agreement with my medical director that if I have to take my meds at work, I will strictly do paperwork for the day. Since I'm in management, I'm expected to go to meetings, respond to calls, and a ton of other stuff. Going on an extended release drug will probably tip the scales on me. Reports indicate that most people that have been taking a specific medication for a period of time is no more of a risk than those who are not. It's how our bodies react. We will never be able to convice society of that. Thank you law profession! That being said, there are some that probably shouldn't do anything after taking meds because they can't adapt to it.

• Are you required to tell them? Start it on the weekend and see how you do. I have worn a Fentanyl patch for over a year and recently had to change to an oral equivalent because of skin issues with the patch. I only had one side effect from the change and that was nausea and it has been pretty severe (I was on the generic Morphine Sulphate ..can't remember the mg). But there was no drowsiness or "high" associated with it that I could tell in the 2 months I tried to use it. I have Lortab and Zanaflex to use in between. Because of the nausea, they had to change it again and now the nausea is gone but I'm not getting pain relief. It is always something. Good luck to you. Hope you'll have good effects from the addition of the long acting medication. I know I was like a new person once I started with the Fentanyl patch. I wasn't happy about using it, but it sure changed my life.
    edited 09/05/2012 - 9:31 AM
    We have a policy that a person has to report when they are taking a medication that may alter their actions or judgement. They don't have to say what it is, but they will find out one way or the other. Since I'm in management, I need to take the high road and set the example.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Some things to consider. I'm a former Healthcare Consultant with many years of (30+) service and experience both on the clinical side and management. At the end of my "run" a couple of years ago ... I spent a number of years flying around the country training docs, nurses and staff on EHRs.

I have my own personal story that I won't go into, but this following thread is related to the driving issue.

Working on meds while in ANY aspect of Healthcare provision is a whole other ball of spit.

Comes a time that "physician heal thyself" and YOUR own survival becomes the sole and primary goal.

res ipsa loquitur

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

edited 09/06/2012 - 11:29 AM
    In KY, you are guilty of DUI whether you have a prescription or not. It's a calculated risk!

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    edited 09/07/2012 - 5:42 AM
    of slippery legal (and personal) slopes. This issue has had a direct effect on my life over the past couple of years. Remember that driving (and working) is considered a privilege not a right. (Unless you live in a "right to work" state).

My "privilege" to drive remains in a canceled due to "medical reasons" status for an indefinite period of time. To regain my driving privilege would require my Doctor to sign off - stating that my medications and medical conditions will have no impact or diminish my driving abilities. Few doctors would provide such a medical statement due to his potential liability.
    I cannot with knowledge of my own conditions and medications with a clear conscience make that statement.

Catch 22

My disability was approved after over 16 months without the SSD courts knowledge of an additional driving occurrence and violation that happened. This was after my first surgery – an SSD filing – return to work – cancelation of my claim – failed surgery – worsening of status – major revision surgery – return to work (and driving) while on medications – conditions worsening and additional diagnosed problems - arriving at the point where I could not continue to work and discontinuing – Reapplying for SSD

Many of you may recall my MVA in October of 2010. That was the last time I drove and I agree with my current driving status, It supports and is in line with my disabilities and my not being able to perform even minimal work efforts.

If I believe I am physically and mentally not able to work even a minimal job …. How can I claim I am physically and mentally able to have the mental skills and abilities to perform unrestricted driving?

Under the law you are either guilty or innocent, either disbled or not. In medicine you can't be "a little bit pregenant", either psycotropic substances are found or not found.

In life, I tend to not be a black or white person ... rather a shades of grey. On this, the law and I would disagree. But I don't write the law.

This in my mind falls under a “to thy own self be true” issue.
    I will shut up now – my neck is braced, my hand is numb and shaking, I am in pain, and cannot continue to compose at this point.

regards to all,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

edited 09/09/2012 - 3:43 AM
    I started the new medication (Oxycontin) several days ago and I cannot believe how much better I feel. I was able to clean out the family truckster yesterday and work in the garage and had nearly no pain while doing it! I wish I would have asked for an extended release medication a long time ago.

I spoke with my retirement systems office and they encouraged me to file for disability retirement to see if I could get it. Ultimately, it comes down to a 3 doctor panel that decides if you should be medically retired. Though the new meds greatly improve my pain management, the fact I'm taking an IR narcotic is the hang up. I will hopefully hear something from my boss tomorrow as to what my employer's take on it is going to be.