Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C4-C7 ACDF Surgery

markshorbackmmarkshorback Posts: 1
edited 09/09/2012 - 10:57 PM in Good News
I just thought I would post my very grateful success. I had no idea so many folks have had problems post surgery. I had two L5-S1 Micro-Discoctemy. The last one has left me unable to liftt over 50 pounds. No problem. The greatest issue I had to over come post Lombar surgery was the broken neck I suffered 8 years ago.

I had an injury from a pool accident when I was five (1973). I broke my neck but with no symptoms. No doctor would touch me and so I went on with my life. I became a professional cyclist (for a couple years after I graduated college). I then went into industry to explore my opportunitieis. In 2004, I was startled in my office, snapped my head to the left and went limp.

I ruptured the three disc's that support the spine between vertebra C4-C7. The exact same area I injured when I was a small boy. I was taken to Christinia Medical Center, Newark DE. To my fortune, EDITED was on call (he also performed my previous two Lombar surguries). I was completely paralized. No feelings, no movement, nothing from the neck down.

EDITED explained my options, donor bone etc. I elected to take my own graft. Four hours later, in recovery, feeling and sensation, movement and releif. This man gave me my life back. EDITED explained that he took some bone from my Iliac Arch (in my hip) inserted this bone material and fused C4-C7 with a titanium plate and screws.

BTW, I have been a snowboard instructor prior to this event for six years (part time on the weekends). EDITED told me that with a patient recovery, and electrical therapy (for the bone fusion), I should have complete recovery and get back on my snowboard again.

Since 2005, I have been enjoying my life snowboarding (no jumping), golf, boating and general happiness. There is no reason to expect a life "style" ending outcome if you have such an injury. Get to the right surgen. The few folks I have talked to that have had the exact same procedure have had issues mostly due to surgen error.

EDITED is an artist. He gave me my life back. He is very skilled and has a great approach to solving problems with spinal/ neurological surgeries.

If you have the need for such a surgery, check your insurance and get to Newark, Delaware. EDITED is worth the travel expense. Trust me. I am now 44 years old, and feel like I am 30.

Post edited to remove name of medical professional and or facility. by The Spine-Health Moderator Team

Mark Shorback

• Mark, thanks for posting. I had C4-C7 ACDF 2 weeks ago and am amazed at how good I feel. One of my big questions was if there would be golf after 3 level ACDF. Sure looks like that from your post. I am amazed at the near total lack of pain once the sore throat subsided and I have to keep telling myself not to go too fast with this. I haven't felt this good in years.
    Thanks again.
    US Army Retired
    Olympia WA
  • It was so good to hear of your success's. It looks like I will be heading for surgery. I want so much to be pain free. I am such an active gal and now my activity is in bed with my head on a pillow with a bag of ice.
    Can I ask what kind of pain you had before surgery and what did the surgeon say to you about your surgery?
    Any positive information would be appreicated.
  • What led me to reach out to you is that I too am a golfer. I was a plus 2 handicap before hip surgery in '07 and now about a 4. That said, wondering what the future holds for me (golf wise) if I go forward with this.. I have been told that my only option is a 3 level fusion by some, while others have said that I could do an artificial disc in c45 and then fuse 5/6 and 6/7. none of this sounds fun btw.. My main concern is the ability to golf again. At least to some degree which seems to have been yours.. So wondering what you are experiencing; specifically as it would relate to making a shoulder turn with a c4-7 acdf? . AS well as how much distance you have lost you figure on account of this..?

thanks for taking time to answer this. .