Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

equestrian activities

I'm an endurance rider and race on horseback 50-100 mls at a time. I am having lower back surgery for DDD. I am 46. I am also in a lot of pain and have had to quit riding as I prepare for my surgery on Monday. I'm thinking I should probably discontinue riding for th health of my spine. Anyone out there with a story regarding spine health and horseback riding?

• I am so sorry to hear about your situation. I am 22 and fell off a horse nearly 4 years ago and herniated S1/L5 and L5/L4 discs. I have had 2 surgeries and tried every type of non surgical methods prior to that. I am 7 months post op from my second surgery and though I still have horses I am unable to ride regularly due to my problems. I am still hanging onto horses because I am not sure how to live without them, but ultimately I know that horseback riding is not a wise decision for my health. If I screw something up again, I may live with more chronic pain than I have now. I will probably sell my last horse eventually and it will break my heart. I am also in college and funds are small at this point. My horse needs to be ridden regularly due to EPSM and I don't think I will be able to provide that. I went from competing to leisure riding to only riding a couple of times a month. I think you should maybe consider riding leisurely. From there work your way up, or if need be, down in terms of expectations. Give it a try, but be safe! I hope things work out in your favor.
    22 year old. Herniated L4-L5 and L5-S1 in December of 2008 in horse riding fall. All non-surgical methods failed. L4-L5 micro discectomy in Sept. 2010. Further herniation of L5-S1 disc in Nov. 2011 and had L5-S1 micro discectomy March 2012.
  • Hi I own a riding school and livery yard and up until my surgery I rode regularly. Before my op (oct 2012) my riding quality declined due to pain and confidence but I do hope that one day I will ride again. I've had S1/L5 fusion and a fit 50 year old. Due to the instrumentation now in my spine I know that I will never be able to bend down to pick out feet or clean lower legs so everything will have to be adapted. My surgeon was not very forthcoming about riding and eventually said it would be about 18 months before I should ride again. At the moment I am just doing everything I should, core exercises and walking, so I can get my core strength strong hence protect my spine. My aim will be to start with riding my 18 year old cob who is well schooled and obedient (well hopefully!) and probably just hack out. In fact , to hack out in the forest is something that is so attractive at the moment and keeps me looking forward. Let me know your experiences regarding riding.