Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Still waiting I have a few questions

Im still waiting for my surgery date for my permanent implant. Wish they would hurry up, I hate waiting. I'm getting a cervical SCS and want to know if I have to wear a hard collar, and how is sleeping after one is implanted. I understand their will begin but do I need to sleep sitting up or in a recliner. Reading all your posts have helped. It made me realize that I have made the right decision for me.
Thanks Esther

• Hi Esther with my cervical test my leads were placed from my lower back the unit was taped to my lower back also.
    No collar was used at all. Sleeping was flat with one pillow. Up to the test I used three or more pillows. With the test SCS on all night I slept all night and every night of the test. After test unit was removed I went back to three pillows and sleep periods of about 1 to 2 hours at a time with maybe 5 hours a night at best.

Just getting to sleep all night was worth it. My only words of caution would be to keep the site clean and dry. I felt so good on the morning of the last day I mowed part of my yard what could it hurt LOL
    I got sweaty and the tape holding the unit in place came loose at the top and moved back away from me just inches but in doing so it pulled the leads a few inches which changed everything. The sensations from my neck were now down across my chest and that was not a good feeling so I had to shut it down. I was lucky because it was going to be taken out in just a few hours anyway but would have ruined the test if I did that sooner.
    Once your test starts play with the programs they give you find out if it helps with walking, small shopping trip,sitting,
    Laying down, and sleeping. If you can write down what program and settings do help and even write down any negatives that come up. Always turn the unit power down when you shut the unit off as the unit will have differant
    Sensations in every position and lets say you were in one position that required a lot of power and you shut it off and then turn it on in a position that does not need a high power setting you may get a large unwanted surprise LOL
    Just turning or bending the neck can change the effects so for a few days just play with it and find the good spot.

When installed by a person with good skills and programed by a skilled person and then when you understand what it can do its wounderfull. I hope it works for you.

Good Luck. And don't worry be happy its a chance of help.
  • Thanks Rickilalas I know when I was talking to the surgeon when he decided to put it in permently he said he will be placing the leads at the top of my spine and the battery will go on the right side under the shoulder blade area. I do need to cut my hair (ugh) short at the back but I don't mind lol . It will be nice not having to use so ment pillows to sleep. As always you give me some good advice. Thanks again Esther
  • Hope you hear something soon! I'm still waiting to get my dates on the perm and trial... Hoping to hear something this week. My mom has her big surgery this week, so I'll have something (unfortunate) to keep myself busy :-)

I know what you mean about hating to wait! I thought I'd be waiting forever on the insurance company approval, not my appointments...

Keep us posted! Take care.
  • Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 118
    edited 09/23/2012 - 1:24 AM
    Esther, please think very carefully about where you want the battery placed - I suggest you get a coaster for a water glass, or something similar, and place the coaster where you want the battery to go. If you can strap in place that would be even better. I recommend this because that bulge can be a major source of frustration, pain, and anger. Initially, my battery was at about my waistline, maybe slightly above, on my left side; I irritated it each time I got in or out of my car, slept on my back which I do mostly; on a long drive for a family funeral, by the time I got there my weight had really aggraved the tissue around the battery and I was swollen and had difficulty wearing anything over it. Just think about all the things you do or plan to do if your SCS gives you relief, and consider how vulnerable it is to becoming a major problem. Also, mine moved from my left to be against my spine and that hurt like crazy until I could get on the schedule for the surgery and have it moved. Based on what you said about placement of your battery under your right shoulder blade so consider how it will feel if you sleep on your back or your right side. It is probably better to be dressed in your normal attire and then determine your best guess for where the battery should be implanted. My doc and I decided this just before we rolled into the surgery center and I should have paid much more attention to the placement and perhaps saved myself some intense pain and misery along with another surgery!

Anyway, best of luck with your SCS