Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My first post...and introduction

I have been lurking for a few weeks to learn more about ACDF procedure. Finally decided to sign up! I am a 44 year old female, born and raised in Texas, wonderful husband, no children, suffering with neck issues since 2007...and scheduled for ACDF C5-C7 with hardware on Sep 24! Yikes!! So soon...and still so much to do and learn. Thanks to all of you and your postings I have become much more informed to this surgery and the recovery!

• Welcome puddle, Everything is biger in texas even neck fusions ! Best of luck, You will do fine i am sure so no reason to over worry, unless your dr is wearing an ancle bracelet and is under house arrest things will be fine,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hi, puddle. Good luck next week!
    C5-C6-C7, T3-T4-T5: disc protrusions, spinal cord & C6 nerve root involvement, tear at T3-T4
    C6 nerve root injection 10/12/12 and at-home traction
  • :? :-? :think: Now I have to check my NS's ankle...

I wish I could say that my nerves were not frayed...but I can't.
    Thanks for the welcome...and the support!
  • to SH Puddle. Wanted to wish you all the best with your quickly approaching surgery. You have come to the right spot. This site is full of wonderful members who can relate.

Completely natural to have a few frayed nerves. Are you getting set up at home for when you are released after surgery? There is a great post "post op must haves" that has great ideas on things you may need at home.
    Please keep us updated on how you are doing, leading up to, and after surgery.
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012

• The nerves are perfectly normal, believe me. Anyone who has had spine surgery will totally understand. I hope, like many of us, you will be saying afterwards that the anxiety was worse than the surgery.

I wish you a very successful surgery and a smooth recovery.
    I hope you have something special planned for the weekend. Eat your favourite food, spoil yourself .......

Good luck on Monday.
    Please do come back and tell us how you are doing.
  • Had my consent appointment with the NS yesterday (no ankle monitor, thankfully) and was very glad my husband went with me. It is amazing how your brain can draw a blank at the least opportune time. I really did not have many questions for him. I did want to clarrify one thing...I thought I remembered him saying in the previous meeting that I would not be wearing a neck brace...and apparently I remembered correctly. That does concern me a little...but who am I to second guess an expert? He told us that the brace hinders the healing, and that the neck muscles strengthen quicker on their own. To each surgeon his own, I guess.
    Thanks for the suggestion of the "post op-must haves"...I have read and made my list! I am sure that I will be missing a few items, but fortunately my husband has taken next week off to care for me. We are a bit rural where we live so I am making every effort to have what i need.
    I did enjoy my sushi and sashimi yesterday...knowing it would be a while before my husband will be comfortable with me eating raw fish...or raw anything :-) I plan of having a nice, juicy rib eye steak tomorrow night for dinner. In preparation for the surgery (and successful fusion) I quit smoking 3 1/2 weeks ago. To mitigate the weight gain I have begun walking...am now up to a mile a day. I could stand to lose a few pounds so a tender throat after surgery wont be that big of a problem...I hope :-)
    The pedicure is this evening after work and the haircut is tomorrow morning. Currently, I am working on a cool story for the scar on my neck. My husband and I love to snorkel...so I am thinking somewhere along the lines of...barracuda attack :-)
    Again, thanks for the support! I will be checking back in soon.
  • Welcome. I had a 3-level ACDF and compared to lumbar surgery, it's not bad at all. I did wear both a hard brace then a soft brace, but like you said, each dic is different.

I found the most important things were a grabber, a comfy station (my recliner), pillows, a big comfy blanket, and a rolling table next to my recliner. I also had games and movies to keep my mind working. Be sure to keep up on your meds the first few weeks to stay ahead of the pain because it's hard to catch up and get it under control if you don't.

Take care and please post when you can to let us know how you're doing. Like Jelly said, most of us come out of surgery realizing the anticipation was worse than the surgery itself - I hope you find the same thing. I also hope you find many if not all your symptoms gone when you wake up like most of us have.

• Was released yesterday evening. Surgery went well. Hospital stay not so well. Will post details when I can comfortably use laptop.
    Very, very happy to be home with my hubs!!

• I'm glad that your surgery has gone well.
    I'll look forward to hearing from you again when you are able, to find out about your hospital stay.
    Now it is over to you for the healing.
    Take care and follow all the rules,
  • I'm sure you're glad to be home!
    L5-S1 Fusion, Discectomy on 7/10/12
    Herniated Discs at L3-L4-L5-S1, Spondylosis, Spondylolethesis at L5, DDD, Partial CES, Lumbar Facet Arthropathy
    Chronic back pain since 12/2010 (slip and fall on ice)
  • So happy your surgery is over and home where you are comfy. Welcome to SH and sorry you had a bad experience in the hospital;( Please post more when you feel up to it:)

• ouch2oouch2 Posts: 1,270
    edited 09/27/2012 - 2:39 AM
    I am sure that you must be happy to be back in your own surroundings. Glad to hear that everything went well with surgery.
    Look forward to hearing more when you feel up to it. Rest well, stay ahead of the pain with meds, walk short distances often.

>:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Thanks everyone for your kind words!