Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone tried Tai Chi??? or Pilates???

jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
edited 09/23/2012 - 4:13 AM in Chronic Pain
I was wondering if anyone here has tried Tai Chi for their back and neck problems?

It looks like a very gentle type of exercise and was wondering if it works.

I guess not since no-one has even viewed this thread.

What about Pilates?
If you have tried it, did it help you?

• Yes I did try pilates and didn't stick with it.
    However, I asked my physiatrist & team and they said yes, that many of the movements were the same that they were trying to teach me for relative strength in pelvic, hips, lower back, abdomen. But I have to be VERY careful and not do everything and ramp up slowly.

The class I tried was 30 min and I while it didn't seem like much, it was. I did about 90% of it and after going, my PT guy said my alignment shifted a bit so I had to be careful not to do as much.

Did it help? Not sure b/c I didn't stick with it but I do continue a lot of the exercises I learned at PT which are similar. I may try again this winter.
  • I started Pilates in physical therapy. I still do it -- not as often as I should, but it is very helpful in keeping me going. Having a strong Core can really take the pressure off your back.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 09/24/2012 - 6:29 AM
    for your answers.

I used to do Pilates before my lumbar fusion.
    We had a stand in teacher one week and she pushed us too much. I actually stopped and just sat and watched. She came and asked me what was wrong. I told her that I was waiting for a lumbar fusion and I couldn't do these exercises because they were hurting me.

I haven't been back since my surgery, although I have been doing some gentle exercies that are similar to some of the Pilates.
    I had intended to get back to Pilates but my neck starting causing problems. I have been told by a Pilates teacher that she would only have me if I had a private lesson because she is too worried about me hurting myself, and she would want to watch me very carefully.

I know that you can get DVDs but then I don't have anyone to advise me. The Tai Chi looks very gentle which is why I wondered if others have found it good.
    I have a feeling that there was a member who was in Australia who did Tai Chi.

• coyotewildwomanccoyotewildwoman Posts: 130
    edited 09/28/2012 - 4:17 AM
    I only do private pilates as my back is so fragile. It has helped me build core strength and be aware of my posture- zipping up my mid line and not using my low back to do things I shouldn't. I worry too much about taking a big mat class and hurting myself. It is costly to do a private or semi private but the cost of another injury is just too high.
This discussion has been closed.