Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New sciatica pain 3 months post op

Hi Joined this group back in Feb when I was in FL and haveing bad back episode. Had back problems for about 10 years from herniated disc. In last few years it got worse and worse. Gave up golf 2 years ago. Long story short when I got back to Michigan I and my surgeon agreed it was time for laminectomy. Stenosis was pretty bad and lots of degeneration.
On June 26 I had Laminectomy @ L4/5 & L5/S1. Dr said surgery went fine. Well it didn't! I began having sciatica in my left leg and butt shortly after surgery. Went all the way to the outside of my left foot. At 1 month follow up OS said it was from nerve irritation and should calm down. Started PT and was doing a few exercises. PT therapist forbade any thing that involved flexion.
Worked on posture too. Saw OS again and he wanted MRI. It showed "nothing." During all this I did a Prednisone Pack,
2 epidurals and a pirifomis injection. The second epidural and pirifomis injection were done same day. I went in to Dr in real pain as I took no meds prior. I wanted to be in pain to see injection results. By the time I got to my car I was pain freel
Got real excited that he nailed it! Nope-next day it all came back.
Seeing OS next week. I am 3 months post op and really worse than I was before surgery.From what I read "Googling" the next step is fusion!! I really would like to avoid that. I am looking for any guidance or suggestions you may have. I am sure I am not the only one to have this experience. A couple weeks ago I thought I was getting better. I had been takeing 400mgs of
Neurontin since before the surgery. I decided to wean off over 3 days. Well the pain came back. Not sure is it was from stopping Neurontin. I doubt it as I had been on it for 6 months and it hadn't seemed to help but maybe it did. I do take about 3 Norcos a day and occasionally take Roboxin -muscle relaxer. I am so desperate that I just bought a Ekroness stressless chair for $2500 and have ordered a Steelcase Leap desk chair for $700. Can't really afford it but I will do anything to get rid of my back problems. I am a 70 year old guy and would like to have a few good years. I cannot really travel to see my grand kids and I have promised my wife a trip to Italy but I just cannot handle it. I also am dealing with bladder cancer at the same time. I start chemo on Monday for 6 weeks. I am a former CEO and Marine and should be able to deal with all this but it is wearing me down. I have quit smoking (slmost), quit drinking and went from 230 lbs to 168. I love to workout but really can't do much now. Sorry for rambling -guess I am getting some things off my chest. Anyway any help will really be appreciated.

• Posted couple days ago. No responses. Looks like dozens of posts with very few views and zero respones.
    Is there a better web forum for back questions? I used this forum last year and got responses. Looks to me
    like this site is dying out??
  • Merk57MMerk57 Posts: 16
    edited 09/24/2012 - 6:08 AM
    Hi there,

I am in a similar boat as you. On May 29th, I had a microdiscetomy to deal with a herniated disc at my L5/S1 and have had sciatica worse than prior to surgery ever since. I had a nerve root block a couple of weeks ago that provided nothing more than 3hours of relief. According to my doc, this means that the sciatic nerve pain is not coming from the area of the injection. They did the nerve root block at the S1 area believing that my pain was the result of scar tissue. My pt has been working with me on dealing with Piriformis Syndrome ever since. I have been getting better slowly. This past weekend I discovered a product through the news that also has been providing significant relief. It has only been a couple of days, so it's tough to put too much stock in yet but I have not taken any muscle relaxers or NSAIDs since applying this cream. The cream is put out by a company called LivRelief. They make a couple of products and I have been trying one intended to relief pain from nerve pains. Price and the fact that it can be purchased at my local pharmacy is made me decide to try it. I felt what have I got to lose if it doesn't work?? I don't want to sound like some spokesperson for the product but so far it has made a believer in me. I just have to keep in mind that this isn't a cure but it sure is helping to cope.

I've also not really been getting many posts on my forum topic either, I'm not sure if it has to do with site popularity or if people aren't really having the same issues as you or I. I will gladly keep you in the loop of my progress and setbacks and would truely appreciate hearing of your trials and tribulations as well.

• I had 3 of those minor surgeries like yourself and never got relief until i was fused at my 3 lower discs. Thought I was back to my normal self after I healed up. Now 16 months later my right leg is causing lots of pain down my leg. Good Luck and I feel your pain.
  • It is now a couple weeks since last post. I saw surgeon again last week. He still thinks it is inflamed nerve from the surgery or "nerve bundle waking up"? I cannot even do the exercises PT wants me to do. Yesterday I did a longer walk then did 10 minutes on exercise bike. Dr had told me to give it a try gradually. In the afternoon I tried to do some exercises. The nerve in my left leg "fired" and I was almost seeing stars!! I was really hurting yesterday and this morning I can tell today is going to be the same. I just took 2 Norcos! I never do that. Cannot help but feel Dr is wrong and I have a nerve trapped some where. I do not know what to do. Have no life this way. Also doing chemo for bladder cancer so have more than one thing to deal with. Wondering about getting second opinion. You would think you could just send all records, xrays and MRI to best surgeon in the world. Wonder if they would see it differently. I do not want to have fusion unless it is my only option. Any advice appreciated.