Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 weeks post L4L5 PLIF - leg pain

Shell2ySShell2y Posts: 80
edited 09/24/2012 - 12:23 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi I had my surgery on 10 September and was discharged on the 21st. At home now the main problem seems to be incredibly aching legs, particularly the calf muscles. The back and wound site pains of course is
understandable, but why the leg ache? It's far worse today - would that be because of too much walking yesterday - I had a GPs checkup

• tamtamttamtam Posts: 2,749
    edited 09/25/2012 - 6:11 AM
    Keep in mind that during surgery they do stir the nerves up a bit, in addition to the fact the nerves can take sometime to heal, depending on the amount of time compressed. Be sure you are drinking plenty of fluids, some medications can dehydrate you, and thus increase the pain in your legs. If you haven't been walking much, and walked a lot yesterday, the nerves can be a little pissed today about it, or it could be good old sore muscles. Hopefully you engaged in a walking program, and walking a lot during the day. If your not you can google them and find several, my fav is 10,000 steps. Hopefully when you seen the doctor yesterday you brought up the fact of still having leg pain? If so did they give you any ideas of why?
  • Thanks for the suggestions - I think some of them are spot on. I am forgetting to drink enough, and I do think I am staying in the one position too long and need to move more frequently. I also keep falling asleep in the chair, rather than deciding if I am tired and need a nap to actually go back to bed for a little while - so all this is probably not good for the circulation. I am not on a walking program as I was told just to listen to my body and increase the walking as I progressively feel better, but maybe I do need to walk more and so will try that as well. I also probably have to a bit more patient.
  • I had terrible leg pains after surgery as well..At one point the dr bght me in to make sure it wasn't a blood clot they ached so bad! My dr told me that its just the nerves as they have been "asleep"for so long and now when they wake up they send lots of false signals out which can cause achy pain. Good luck and make sure to wear the support stockings it will help!