Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Other options

I was diagnosed with degenerative disc about 4 years ago and it has progressively gotten worst. In addition, which could be common, I don't know I also have arthritis and bulging discs. I have had three epidural blocks, rfa treatment, physical therapy and have used a tens unit. The pain is now in my legs and since my rfa treatment my upper leg is numb and tingly. I just had a nerve test which confirmed that the nerves in my spine are damaged. I was just wondering if anyone else has had any success with any other kinds of treatment. My dr has mentioned a nerve block but I'm quite sick of needles getting put into my back and nothing working.

• This is the exact reason I posted the question I did on this board. I keep reading how "Normal" this ddd is.. yet I read over and over how people are suffering and it gets worse not better. I hope you find some relief. Have they brought up the surgery option yet?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    that Degenerative DIsc Disease is misunderstood. Please spend some time reading Degenerative Disc Disease

You would have read it here from me and many others that DDD is almost a normal condition. It really is the aging of our spines, a natural progression. Normal, just as our hair starts to turn gray at some point... For some its earlier and for some its faster or later on in life.

Many times you will see that DDD is not the root of a spinal problem, but a result of other problems. Since I am not a doctor, I will let the doctors at Spine-Health explained that in medical terms.

The good thing about DDD is that in most cases its treatable with a approved exercise program and OTC NSAIDs. Surgery is required on only the more serious situations.

I've been living with DDD and Spinal Stenosis for almost half of my lifetime. It has progressed, I still have been able to control the DDD to an extent. I am in a situation, where I have had all the surgeries that I think I am ever going to have on my spine, so I really have not focused on true herniated discs.

I think perhaps a better term than Normal, it would be Natural
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Yes, I've read all the articles here on the subject. I think as a prior athlete being told no more marathons and yet I watch 70+ year old woman finish an Iron Man, frankly it makes me angry to just take the pill.. Well it's normal aging honey. Any how I was just noticing the pain this normal aging process is causing so many on this board.
  • process then it stands to reason all or most disc in your spine should be showing signs of DDD, not 1 or 2. As for me it is two, L5-S1 collapse due to previous surgery, L4-L5 minimal collapse/herniations. I have been a meat cutter, rigger and now pipeliner and laboured for 34 years and the rest of my spine is no where near degenerated like the disc level of surgery I had 17 years ago. I believe genetics plays a big part. Some people can withstand and become pain free after surgical correction. Other's spines can't handle surgeries. My body physically auto-fuses on it's on and quite quickly, some people not so much. Every case is different.
  • Yes, the ortho said it's genetics. My sister who is older has spine issues. I was always healthy, lean and exercised and whammoo. Obv mine is not as bad as yours. The ortho is keeping an eye on me to see if it gets worse. Misty, I hope you get some relief!