Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone taking Testosterone replacement therapy from PM Dr?

My PM Dr sent my to get my testosterone levels checked to see If I could benefit from TRT(Testeosterone replacement therapy)
Apparently taking opiates decreases your testosterone. Is this a common treatment? anyone here doing it?

Ive read once you start taking it your body produces less so you'll need to keep taking it but isnt that if you were abusing it in high levels like bodybuilders and athletes?

Im male about to turn 25 so my levels are supposed to be natuarally high at this age, but I don't feel 25, I was bigger and stronger when I was 19 before my injury.

• It is very common to have low hormone levels when taking narcotics for pain. Even us ladies should have our levels checked.
    It's very good that your Doctor is starting you on therapy. You will feel so much better and be able to preform better!!

So all you gents AND ladies if you have not had your levels checked ask your Doctor to do so. You will be happy you did!!

Patsy W
  • Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 118
    I used the gel for a couple of years and then went to weekly self injections. However, I urge caution about having your pain doc prescribe your testosterone therapy! I see an endocrinologist for my glands related issues including my testosterone level maintenance. I'm not saying your pain doc is not capable or competent just that we have to be very careful because we take so much opiate or narcotic meds. Along with our energy level and our sex drive, low testosterone also affects bone density which can make our back issues worse so it is important that we monitor our levels. My low testosterone caused me to lose bone density but working with the endocrinologist has enabled me to improve my bone density and I'm now at the normal level. At the same time, she discovered that my prolactic was way too high and I probably have a benign tumor on my pituitary gland - she cannot verify because only an MRI can verify and I have an SCS so I cannot have an MRI. Prolactin levels are related to your energy level and your sex drive. The endocrinologist has me on several meds to get my prolactin back to normal. Anyway, food for thought and my recommendation based on my experience to have my pain expert help with pain and my blood and gland expert help me that area. Best of luck to all. Jerome
  • charryccharry Posts: 5,657
    edited 09/30/2012 - 8:53 AM
    I just had my levels checked and I`m taking Androgel but because I`m a woman I only use one acuation or pump 0.5 every other day but men use more daily. Not sure about the links to opiates as due to my age, my levels are low. I had to ask for the test and pay for it although it didn`t cost much. Also had my Vitamin D level checked and it was low also.

I just rub the gel on my upper arm and wear no clothing over arm for 2 minutes then wash hands so gel isn`t transferred to anyone or pet. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
This discussion has been closed.