Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

electro magnetic stimulator for bone growth after surgery

I have had my belt for 3 days and have had increased pain, periformis pain and a headache. Are these possible side effects? I was told to wear it 8 hours a day continuously.

• I wore mine for a year and never had any problems. Unfortunately for me it didn't help and I ended up having a revision surgery with additional hardware added.
  • Penney:

I had a two level fusion (L4-S1) in January 2011. My fusion was not as successful as desired/anticipated. My surgeon ordered a BGS in Jan 12. I wore it 4 hours/day for two months. No evidence of bone growth. My surgeon then recommended revision surgery. I procrastinated and convinced him in the interim that it was a waste of the "life span" of the BGS to continue wearing it since he said I would begin wearing it the very first day after the revision surgery.

After a second opinion from a NS in mid July who recommended that I go to pain management, I offered a plan to my surgeon (ortho) regarding my condition. I told him that I would wear the BGS until it expired and THEN make a decision regarding revision surgery. He thought that was a wise recommedation. So, since then I have been wearing it daily.

To be honest, I am always happy to take the damn thing off. Over time it really becomes a nuisance - physically and publicly. Yes, it does make my back hurt (I feel as if it creates more weakness and instability in my spine). However, I have never experienced any headaches.

One positive effect it that people don't know what it is, but they conclude that something is "not right" with me so they open doors and even offer to carry stuff for me. Very humbling on most occasions.

Hope you can endure and grow some bone.

• Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 118
    I used a stimulator for about 3 months after my L5/S-1 ALIF fusion in May 2011 and I was and am still in the same pain I was before the surgery so I really don't know if the stimulator caused any of the pain. I do know though that my fusion is healing nicely and, at this point, the healing may be complete. It would seem odd though for the stimulator to be causing additional pain. Have you found anything on the internet that would lead you to believe it is a pain source? Sorry I cannot offer anything else for you. Jerome
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 09/30/2012 - 7:23 PM
    In 2006 I had a cervical fusion on C5,,6 and 7. As part of a test group I used a BGS and my fusion went very well.
    I used donor bone and used the BGS 24 hours a day for just over six months. Fusion took very well and is very solid
    I had no side effects and understood that the magnetic field was only near the leads. At this time my insurance did not cover them. The trial test covered the cost.

In 2007 I had a lumbar fusion of L4 L5 and S1. Bone from my cervical lamimectomy the same day was used for this fusion. This time I used another BGS of which my insurance did cover because the trials all did good. I used it 24 hours a day for all most a year and have a very solid fusion with no side effects.. There was also a test going for use with broken bones and I was told it also went very well. I believe in them very much.

Just for fun when anyone asked about my cervical unit I told them it was a neck pod that I was testing for a major company and it would replace head phones in the future. So sad how many believed that. LOL

In my post here, I forgot to mention that for the L5/S1 fusion, the cage inserted was filled with stem cells and the GBS was supposed to enhance the stem cell growth process for better and quicker growth and fusion. Jerome
  • Jerome where did they get the stem cells. I have a pretty bad damaged spinal'cord area and maybe someday stem cells will help that. I have read where they can grow organs with stem cells but how do they know what to grow.
    I am not being funny here but what if I did a stem cell test in my neck and grew another arm or something?
    Did they use your cells or donor cells
    Sorry to take so long to respond...I understood that the stem cells were grown in a lab - I'm not sure of the original source but NS said they were grown but I hear they can be harvested from cadavers. My docs say that my latest CT scan and x-rays show that I've healed up. Jerome