Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Metastases

Are there any members with spinal metastases? I'm a 4-time sarcoma patient and now the cancer has metastasized to my spine.

I'm going in for a spinal fusion t-9 to l-3, laminectomy and spondylectomy (t12) in a couple of weeks. I'm quite scared and I don't know what the future holds. I'm just hoping there's no damage to my spinal cord during this surgery but that's a real possibility given how invasive this surgery will be.

• Jim:

I am not where you are, but I have experienced the detection/confirmation of prostate cancer followed by the subsequent tests to determine if it metastasized. It took about one week for results and that was the longest week of my life (to date). Prostate cancer heads one of two directions - the lymph system or the skeletal system. Fortunately, mine had yet to migrate and was contained to the prostate. Radical prostatectomy was the solution, but I still have that latent fear that just one cancer cell escaped and camped out in my spine.

Ironically, my prostate cancer was discovered because I underwent a physical exam in preparation for spinal fusion. Had I not elected to undergo spinal fusion I would have not had the exam and I would most likely now be undergoing pallitive treatment for bone cancer because my prostate was pretty much consumed with cancer and it would not have been much longer before those bad boys took a hike. So when anyone ever asks me if I made the right decision about spinal fusion my answer is always YES.

Good luck my friend.

Another Jim and another cancer survivor.