Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Cord Stimulator anyone?

My surgeon and pain dr. both are going forward on this. I have had two back surgeries, an L4 s1 discectomy and most recently ( 2009) spinal fusion at L4. Fusion went well until about a year ago. Today i have terrible burning like pain throughout my back. Also lower pack pain and minor leg numbness and tingling. MRI showed a minor disc herniation L5. I went thru the usual serious of injections for facet joint syndrome. Even had nerve root ablation. Nothing has helped. I take two percs a day but because of my strenuous work i seem to be only making things worse. Last week dr suggested i discontinue the percs and try 15 mg of morphine, one a day. That did nothing to take the pain away at work. . I didnt want to take a second one on my own, so i called him and he told me not to. So now im scheduled for the spinal Cord Stimulator in a few weeks. Its so frustrating because i really shouldnt be working, but of course i dont have that amount of sick time so i suffer through the work day. BTW, i asked him today what actually is my diagnosis, and he said Failed Back Syndrome. Anyone else have that condition...and did u have the Spinal Stimulaor?

Thanks Ron

• 2 percosets a day is nothing. A stimulator sounds like over kill. You should get another opinion to see what someone else says. If you have a herniation, the stimulator isn't going to do much for it.

• Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 118
    Hi Ron,

I have FBS and a SCS. I presume you mean you will have the SCS trial soon as you did not mention anything about the results of an SCS trial. I cannot imagine your doc is planning the permanent implant without a trial to determine if it helps you and is worth the sacrifice of going through the procedure and the multitude of follows-up required to get it working the best for you. But, if your doc is in fact planning the permanent implant without a trial, I would find another doctor ASAP!

Under the treatment heading, there is a board for SCS and I recommend you check out what other folks have said.

Good luck, Jerome
  • ron01864rron01864 Posts: 2
    edited 10/03/2012 - 1:20 PM
    i want to clear a few things up regarding my last post. I mentioned i take only 2 percs a day at work. Im purposedly limiting my use of pain killers due to the nature of my job in the Postal Service. I suffer daily, i could easily use more to control the pain. Second, i mentioned im going in for the scs implant. I meant im going in for the trial in a few weeks. And lastly, i got a reply that the scs wouldnt help with the herniation. I mentioned that i only had minor pain in the leg. My main issue is the whole back, which i what i am trying to get resolved. Thanks for listening, now im heading to the scs forum, which i just discovered yest.
    edited 10/04/2012 - 3:21 AM
    I am also scheduled for my trial this month and have fbs , it would be interesting to see if it has helped anyone..
  • The SCS works really well for some people, some get a little relief and some people it does not work at all. It does seem to work better on foot and leg pain but some people do get relief for their back pain. I have brutal pain in my feet and legs but the SCS did nothing for me. All it did was tingle on top of my pain! Not a good feeling at all. It just added to my pain. I now have a pain pump implant that has worked wonders for my pain. If the SCS trials fails for you a pain pump implant might be something you may want to consider.
    I do hope the SCS works for both of you. Best of luck to you.

Patsy W

This discussion has been closed.