Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

12 weeks Post-Op ALIF still swelling in feet and legs

Went to spinal doc yesterday and he's sending me to vascular surgeon due to swelling in my feet and legs for ultra sound and/or other tests. Had ALIF surgery 12 weeks ago. I have been walking a hour per day and putting feet up 2-3 times per day. I think swelling is due to inflammation from surgery since I still have a little swelling in my back and some pain there as well. Tried stocking again but doesn't seem to help with swelling now. Wondering will swelling go away once back is completely healed? Anybody else have similar problem?

• I have swelling in my feet and legs but it's caused by the pain medication I have to take. The stocking do not help me either. Neither do fluid pills. I sleep with my legs elevated and elevate them several times a day. That is the only thing that helps me.
    My Mother was on morphine and it caused her legs to swell so bad they would split. At that time I did not know that pain medication could cause this. The place the fluid ran from looked like a stretch mark. My legs have not split yet but some days it looks like they will.
    If they cant find any other problems can you go off your pain meds for about 3 or 4 days?? If the swelling goes down then you know it's the pain meds causing it.
    I can't stop taking my pain meds because I have a pain pump implant so what I will have to do is to reduce the ammount of pain meds my pump delivers a day by about 5%. If that dosn't work will have to reduce it another 5%. I have had my pain pump 2 years but the swelling did not start until I got my last increase.
    Best of luck to you.
    Patsy W
  • as soon as i was out of surgery i noticed a weakness in my left groin and i also noticed visible veins on my legs {in small patches around my knees on the inside where i had been laying down] the swelling of my lower legs and feet came on around the 8 week stage {and i only think i noticed that because for the first 8 weeks i spent all my time on my recliner with my legs raised as i was far too ill to do anything .i have noticed that if i bend {as to remove washing or put washing in the washing machine my legs and feet will swell .sometimes i will wash my car and if i bend down to wash the wheels my legs will swell and so will my feet ..its so painful i now don't bother bending..oi have informed the consultant and he told me its to do with the sympathetic nerves and should settle down but could take a long time .i worried me as i have nothing wrong with my legs or feet {from a swelling point of view} before the surgery i did and still do have numbness mainly on my right foot and lower leg and to some degree on the left foot/leg .the right is the worst and my two middle toes are completely numb .i am due a 12 month check in 4 months so i will ask again should i still be in the same position ..my consultant has told me not to worry ...as if !! .its taken 9 months for my ALIF to start to heal and i am just noticing a slight decrease in pain but its been replaced with other problems including swelling and other pain !! .the only good thing is my spine now feels stronger and i am about 25mm taller
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014