Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any advice whom I should see?

I have a disc bulge in C4-C5 and have been suffering for years. I have brought this up with a couple of GPs to no avail. They didn't seem to have much of knowledge on the issue. A while ago I got an MRI done at work. The scan clearly showed the bulged disc. However, since the scan wasn't done at a diagnostic facility I had to get another one done. Now I am about to have a follow-up appointment and I want to know what my options are. Does anyone have advice on whom I should ask to see? I don't have confidence in my doctor on the problem and would like to know as much as possible before the appointment.



  • Ms PixieMMs Pixie Posts: 154
    edited 10/04/2012 - 12:55 PM
    if your GP dont have that much experience with spinal conditions, ask him/her to refer you to a spine specialist. They are usually specialised in orthopedics or neurology. Both orthopedists and neurologists can look at your MRI and listen to your symptoms and know a course of action. They see a lot of spine patients.
    At least your GP should be qualified enough to know when your symptoms/problems requires a referal.
    If your GP dont want to refer you despite you suffering from this, and have for a while, change GP to someone who takes you seriously. If you have suffered for years, your bulging disc has obviously not healed without treatment. There's a lot of things that can be done as far as helping relieving your symptoms.

    Good luck!
    Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • You need to see a spine specialist,if your doctor says no then tell them that you just want another opinion on your spine problem. Some PM seem to think that sending you to a spine specialist automatically means surgery and thats why they don't like to refer. Mine was that way,actually my PM was and my neurologist ,finally i just said all i want is another opinion,i already have yours now i want a surgeons.
  • PostACDFPPostACDF Posts: 23
    edited 10/15/2012 - 3:33 PM
    Depending on what insurance you have you might need to go and pick a Dr. and get an honest opinion paying out of pocket.
    There is no reason in my opinion that you are not being looked at by a specialist by now.
Sign In or Register to comment.