Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm so thankful to have found this website, if only to know that I'm not alone.

I have a disc herniation at L5 S1. The pain started about a year ago, but intensified about six months ago and has just gotten progressively worse.

It's excruciating now. I can't sleep. I can't be on my feet at all. Every day tasks are agony. I have three kids and my husband is in the Navy. Last night my husband actually had to be flown off the aircraft carrier because I am in so much pain I can't function.

Emotionally I'm at an all time low. I dread every day. I dread going to sleep because I know I will toss and turn all night. I dread waking up because I know the day will just be like the day before or worse. I just keep saying I can't do this anymore. But I have to.

I've read about several of you saying that you wish you could amputate your leg. I'm so there.

Up til yesterday I was just on Naproxen and Tylenol with Codeine. I went to the ER yesterday and they gave me Hydrocodone and an oral steroid. I have an ESI scheduled for the 15th. I'm afraid it will do nothing or make it worse. Part of me wishes I could just skip to surgery, but I know your mileage may vary there too.

• Hi Treeby
    Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. My husband works away and only gets to come home for a couple of weeks every three months so I know how, hard it is to cope with the constant pain when you're significant other isn't there to help you through it. Hang in there girlfriend.

Don't wish for the surgery - it's a last resort treatment for a reason. You may be lucky enough to have success with a more conservative approach along the way. I'm heading for my second surgery next week and I can tell you that the recovery process is no picnic and definitely not for the feint hearted.

Once the doctors get your pain into a more manageable state you will find it will be much easier to cope.

Don't forget - we are hear for you :)

• Once you get ahead of the pain and it's at a somewhat manageable point, things will be better, I promise. A very key part of this process is STAYING POSITIVE! The mind has an incredible control over the body. I know that when the pain is out of control, it rules your whole life and has an impact on every single aspect of it, and we all have days when we feel like all hope is lost. But you've got to pick yourself up and move forward. Don't go into your treatments assuming they won't work - they have proven success rates, that's why doctors do them. Of course on a site like this you will hear a lot of bitching because our treatments didn't work, but that's because all of the success stories have moved on and are living. I personally plan to stick around to help people when I'm better - and I WILL get better (See? Positive thinking.)

Trust me, you do not want surgery. If you think life is hard now, just imagine how hard it would be recovering from surgery. I'm 3 months post op and STILL in more pain than I was before surgery, and I was in enough pain before surgery that I couldn't work. It was so bad that my EMPLOYER sent me home and suggested a long term leave of absence. If you had surgery, you would probably need your husband or somebody else to be there to help you for at least three months, if not longer.

Stay positive, listen to your body and do anything you can to get better. Research everything, talk to people like us who have been there - we can give you great advice and a shoulder to cry on. You have three kids, so I know you are used to being strong, for them. You're going to be ok, I promise. One way or another, you will get through this because you HAVE TO.
    L5-S1 Fusion, Discectomy on 7/10/12
    Herniated Discs at L3-L4-L5-S1, Spondylosis, Spondylolethesis at L5, DDD, Partial CES, Lumbar Facet Arthropathy
    Chronic back pain since 12/2010 (slip and fall on ice)