Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hey! New to site and looking for advice

hey. I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back and a pinched sciatic nerve. I'm currently seeing a chiropractor, which has helped a lot, but I still get so frustrated with how much it hurts to sit or stand for long periods of time. I have no choice! I have to sit for my classes (3 classes in a row, 2 hrs each), my internship- at a desk, my job-at a desk. I also work in laundry but i can't work until my back gets better (god knows when!!!!!!!! D:< lol) and i am just desperate for tips to alleviate the pain and to speed up the healing process, if that is even possible! also, how long does it take for a herniated disc to heal? I just want so bad to be able to make it through class without being in so much pain...
L5 sciatica, L4 and L5 herniated disc

• backache99backache99 Posts: 1,338
    edited 10/08/2012 - 9:48 PM
    you could try a TENS machine the touch TENS is a good purchase and is only about 30 pounds ?$ and its easy to use .if you buy a TENS get one with preset programs on it you done need a 300 pound machine that you need a physic degree to use .many TENS have pre set programs on them and you only need the type with two electrode .you could also try ice /heat and OTC pain killers but if you are still in pain and its effecting your life /sleep you need to see a consultant and maybe consider surgery ..surgery is always massive decision and unfortunately many that have surgery need more surgery as time rolls on .i am 46 and have had 3 lots of surgery the last one was a ALIF fusion and i am still recovering from it 9 months later .back surgery doesn't always remove pain and many people will never be totally free from back pain surgery is normally don't to repair a damaged or diseased spine .i would leave the surgery option until you have exhausted all other options .i speak from years of painful experience .once again its nice to meet you
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I had a herniated disc (c-5) my Dr at the spine clinic said surgery, and I am deeply opposed to that so I found a new chiropractor who has a "decompression table" I began my treatments on the table 3 times a week for 3 weeks and within the second week, had feeling in my arm again! it works, I've suffered from this twice now, the first time took 7 weeks to heal, this time 3. check into it, it may help