Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic back pain in the AM

Does anyone else diagnosed with DDD have daily back pain in the AM ?? I have to use a walker for the first hour or so upon wakening before I can stand straight and function....I'm 44 but I feel like 74!!
Victoria Mendez

• Oddly enough I feel best right upon waking, I get worse as the day goes on
  • Since I messed my back up every morning its tight.
    Back 3 or 4 months ago I strained it then it got better then wham sciatica started.
    Mornings and late afternoon's through the night is my worst.
    L4/5 herniation13mm sequestered fragment L5 root compromise.
    L3/4 annular tear.
    L2/3 3mm bulge and annular tear.
    Tens mpo combo system
    Epidural L4 L5 28Nov12 / 12Dec12 / 26Dec12. All no relief :( SO FAR
    MicroD L4 L5 May 23 2013
  • I'm def stiff!!! Just not in pain first thing in morning.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    I have the hardest time first thing in the morning. Between the DDD, Spinal Stenosis, Scar tissue, its a struggle to get moving. Then I am doing ok.
    As the day progresses, I start to tire, but still ok.

Very interesting though, on the nights I work till 10:00pm, I feel ok up until 12:00 or 1:00am, then my legs start their burning, throbbing, etc.

But on nights I do not work, the same problems start so much earlier. For me, the more active I am, the pain doesnt hit until later in the night.

My physiatrist has me charting my days now... To see if there is a definite pattern. And if there is? Well, we will cross that bridge when it happens
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Welcome to SH. I have alot of pain first thing in the morning and it takes me a long time to get going. I also have pain all night, waking every 1 -1.5 hours and having to turn reajust pillows etc. The best time of the day for me is around 1-3 in the afternoon. Then my pain ramps up again.

How are you during the night? Do you sleep well, or awaken often? Often I will take my pills about an hour before I need to get up to ease the pain when I first start moving around.

Have you had surgery, or tried physio, esi, heat, cold etc? I am 41, and also feel so much older.
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012