Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HELP! BMP and Forteo for c1 c2 Fusion? Sugery coming up soon!

sue1548ssue1548 Posts: 10
edited 10/12/2012 - 4:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm in my 30's and petite very small framed. My surgeon is going to fuse my c1 and c2 possibly the occiput also from behind the neck. He's going to try not to have to do the occiput. I have spinal instability. He was going to use my hip bone so he did a bone density test on my hips. It came back as being pretty much at osteoperosis. He is now worried it might not fuse so he wanted me to take Forteo for 2 months after the surgery and use the BMP as well. He said he would need to use a lot of materials to fill up the space like cadaver bone and synthetic bone with the BMP, if I didn't want to use my hip. I hear the hip bone can be sore for years after and possibly forever. I thought doing the cadaver and synthetic would be better. The thing I'm worried about is using both the BMP and the Forteo at the same time. He siad it's only to start the fusion to be sure it fuses. He doesn't want to take a chance of it not fusing. I'm so confused I don't know what to do. I was first thinking of taking my hip bone and using the Forteo without the BMP...but now I'm thinking of using the other materials rather than hip and using the BMP instead. I don't fee right using both, but my surgeon is a spine surogeon from one of the best hospitals in the country. He's also the director. What should I do? My surgery is in about a week!?