Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1st day post op Micro-D L5S1

I just had surgery yesterday and am happy to say that I am not having leg pain, have had a few pains here and there but mainly with movement, re-positioning while sleeping. Had a hard time sleeping last night as movement is the main thing that causes pain at incision point. I do have quite a bit of pain at incision site but the vicoding is helping tremendously.

I am hopeful all progresses well and that the leg pain stays away. I know I have a road to travel to complete recovery but am very optimistic. Dr. warned me that since I waited for a little over a year for surgery that the nerves may be a bit mad at me for awhile.

I am hoping to go back to work in 2 weeks, I of course have restrictions but luckily I don't do a lot of bending/lifting in my occupation so will just need to be mindful. I don't go back for follow up appointment until 11/13 but will release me if I feel that I am ready.

• Good to hear your surgery has shown immediate success. I know some people don't see relief from leg pain for a few days to weeks. Nerve wise, you never know so yes they could be mad at you or they may recover over time. Just be careful returning to work too soon. Even with a desk job, when you go back, watch posture, sitting too long, and getting rest. I found I was exhausted upon returning to work...it is ok to limit your hours and/or come home and just let some of the house work wait. Sleep is so important to recovery so when you increase your activity....don't let sleep take a back seat.

Also - be very careful driving. It does jostle you.

But overall, sounds like you can indeed be optimistic! I love hearing positive stories like this!!!
  • I am still feeling pretty good, very hard to limit activity but I am doing a good job of it. The only side effect that is a downer right now is constiption but working to get that resolved.
    I get tired pretty easily so frequent rest has helped. Still some pain at incision site and when moving but trying to get as much walking in as I can. Looking forward to a nice recovery.
  • Do you have a laxative prescribed? I couldnt have gotten by without and am still taking every couple days. My incision site pain took over a week to settle down, those meds help alot! Remember this, the 1st 2 weeks of laying around, minor walking, and poppin pills were the easy part for me. Returning to work, driving, and PT 2 weeks in is when it started getting hard. And as you know from my other post I just had a setback, but am working through it. If everything goes well for you, 2 week return to work is possible, but that 1st week was really hard for me. Take it easy & ease in if you can. I only worked 22 hrs week 1, and was up to 35 week 2. I am still not working 40s, leavin early 3x week for PT.

Getting tired easy is what I went through also. a walk around the block would practically knock me out!

Dont push, your body will tell you whats ok & whats not. And dont be like me & feel like you can do physical things after 4 weeks, even if you feel good. I learned that lesson quickly. I feel like I lost 2 weeks of PT work already if I am lucky. I wont be trying anything like that again for at least 4 weeks.If that. It takes a long time to heal, even if it is feeling good.

Also ICE, ICE, and ICE AGAIN! It really helps

If you have questions during your recovery, feel free to DM me. I think we are floatin down the same river!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!