Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PILF S1L5 Post Op info

JulieMacJJulieMac Posts: 5
edited 10/21/2012 - 3:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 3 weeks post op, spent 20 days in hosp after procedure some of this time was rehab. My surgery went for 8hrs due to some other issues my Neurosurgeon said it was very messy and took him ages to even get started on the laminectomy.I found the pain for about 3 days after surgery was the worst pain I have ever had to endure.
I am home now still taking copius amounts of medication.The scar site is also very sensitive (which is to be expected).
I am finding I just can't get over the pain I went through whilst in hosp plus I am finding it hard to deal with how my back feels now I guess there is still swelling there. I am not sleeping well at night ( this was the same before surgery). I just cannot get comfortable sitting in a chair or lying in bed.
I am doing light house work atm nothing strenuous. I am off work for 3 months. I have had lower back issues all my life I am 50yrs old now. The last 2 years being the worst ever.

I am just curious about anybody elses recovery after this type of surgery,

• poodlemama99ppoodlemama99 Posts: 44
    edited 07/22/2014 - 7:19 AM
    3 weeks is not long enough to see real improvement. I did not even begin to feel better for 2 months and then it was a very gradual improvement. Not sure what kind of work you do but 3 months recovery is not really that long. I had 4 levels fused which I know is more extensive but I doubt it makes that much difference. Recovery would progress the same for the most part. Good luck and keep the faith. I found that walking helped a lot with recovery.
    4 level posterolateral fusion L2-S1 with rods and screws and cadaver bone. Spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, sciatica, DDD, facet disease and arthritis. September 2002
  • Thankyou poodlemama99, I do work F/T mostly office work and sitting infront of a computer. I am enjoying hydro which I do 3 times a week, plus I am walking only for about 5 mins a day. It is now just over 4 weeks since surgery. I see the neurosurgeon in 2 weeks time so I will ask him how much excersise I can increase to and take his advise. How is your back now after 10 yrs ???? Thanks again :-)